cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Howto print/generate barcode in sapscript/smartform remotely

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

I need help in the following situation. I have a custom report which contains print-controls to generate a barcode of a number. This report is currently used via SAPGUI where the user chooses a printer in the printer popup and has a local barcode.dll installed to print/generate the barcode.

My task is to enable remote access to this report from a third party application which should generate the report output. Currently what I have done is to submit the report to the spool from a RFC module where the user can manually open the spool and print it afterwards.

This is of course not the best way as there is interaction needed.

What I want to have the best way is to start from outside the system a call to generate the report with the barcode and then receive maybe a pdf in the remote system which can then be displayed and printed on a normal printer.

Therefor I tried to use smartforms where the sap help indicates that these can translate barcodes into graphics. But I did not get it up working.

So I have some questions:

- Is it possible to generate the barcode without the barcode.dll and without a barcode hardware?

- How can I generate this inside the sap system?

- Can I do this all from remote third party app?

I would be happy if anybody could lead me through this as I am a little bit confused about all the different possibilites.

Regards,

Andreas

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Smart forms are able to generate a barcode as a graphic. Only a few barcode symbologies are allowed. See these links: [wiki Step-by-step New Barcode Technology for Smart Forms|http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/Snippets/Step-by-stepNewBarcodeTechnologyforSmartForms], and [Note 645158 - New bar code technology for Smart Forms|http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/645158]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sandra,

thx you too for your hint. The example in the link I tried already and it worked so far as I can see the temporary barcode in my smartforms when testing. but when I print it physically my printer only outputs some ascii sequences (APWIN%Cbp1s119;P 1417,1657; )

I thought that the smartforms are responsible for creating the barcode/graphic but that does not work on my side! Am I missing something?

Former Member
0 Kudos

sry - double post

Edited by: Andreas Krienke on Jun 14, 2010 2:37 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

sry - double post

Edited by: Andreas Krienke on Jun 14, 2010 2:37 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

sry - double post

Edited by: Andreas Krienke on Jun 14, 2010 2:36 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Andreas,

The easyest way to print BARCODE is use a font that's creat barcode. Just Google with "Barcode font download" and you will find those fonts.

Good Luck

Eli

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Eli,

thx for the hint. I did not know that there are free barcode fonts available. I am not sure if I am able to install them on the client on customers side.

Are there other options available as well?

Regards,

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

sry - double post

Edited by: Andreas Krienke on Jun 14, 2010 2:36 PM