cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question on Java database

jay_b2
Participant
0 Kudos

I had read that SAP creates a separate schema for ABAP and Java. Suppose I create a purchase order or any transaction that creates a record in the database, where is this record stored ?

• Is it stored in ABAP Database; or same application tables where PO created from SAP GUI / ABAP is stored ?

- THen why do we need different schemas for ABAP and Java?

- We can also create two databases for abap and java each. How / Where would the data be stored then ?

• Is it stored in separate database ? How do I know the details of this database. If a separate database is used, it violates the design approach of ERP for having all data available at one place.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I had read that SAP creates a separate schema for ABAP and Java.

yes, true.

> Suppose I create a purchase order or any transaction that creates a record in the database, where is this record stored ?

> * Is it stored in ABAP Database; or same application tables where PO created from SAP GUI / ABAP is stored ?

Since you create that in the ABAP system it's stored in the ABAP schema.

> * Is it stored in separate database ? How do I know the details of this database. If a separate database is used, it violates the design approach of ERP for having all data available at one place.

Not at all.

A Java based system is totally different to ABAP, they are not directly related to each other and communicate on a higher level (BAPIs, RFCs etc.) A Java system never reads data directly out of the ABAP schema.

Nowadays it's neither recommended nor supported to install a new system with a dual stack (ABAP + Java in one instance with the same <SID>) because the alleged advantages are too small and the administrative overhead is too big.

Markus

jay_b2
Participant
0 Kudos
Suppose I create a purchase order or any transaction that creates a record in the database, where is this record stored ?
* Is it stored in ABAP Database; or same application tables where PO created from SAP GUI / ABAP is stored ?

I meant user creating a PO with Java interface (browser). ?? Is that record created in the ABAP DB ? If so, is the java database used only to store configuration information.

Additionally, is it true that to web-enable your applications (e.g. PO creation), you'll need to have java developers to program the java beans / servlets that assist in creation of PO ? Are these obvious services (PO Creation) not available by default ?

Thanks,