cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDI imports are outdated

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

When we started the imports in NWDI from Quality Environment to Production Environment, while started with import of 1 st NWDI transport Package, imports were successfully completed. It happened for the next 4 trransports.

For the sixth transport it started to skip the next 8 imports and imported the 14th package, when i saw in the history, all the other packages from 5 to 13 are outdated.

Please let me know, how to rollback the outdated NWDI transport packages.

Thanks & Regards,

Palani

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Palani,

there is nothing to worry about. What happened is perfectly normal, if you wanted to have the latest version of your application to be imported.

Outdated means a newer version has been imported and importing the old version is not necessary. This is ok, because SCA files are always cumulative full versions of the application. Its note like in ABAP, where you have to transport all delta versions to have the newest version.

Kind regards

Jan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your response.

There are 3 DCu2019s involved in the SC.

There was no problem until the transports were move to the Production tab, Problem occurred when the imports started from the Production tab to System State Tab

The scenario is like activities are created, activated and released (Itu2019s been deployed to the development environment).

The deployed transport packages are imported to the QA Environment through Consolidation -->Assembly --> Test --> Approval (QA). (Version 1)

Again there were some activities created, activated and released (Itu2019s been deployed to the development environment).

The deployed transport packages are imported to the QA environment through Consolidation -->Assembly --> Test --> Approval (QA). (Version 2)

Like this there are 10 versions

So now there will be 10 Transport packages available in the Approval tab. We clicked on the approve button in the approval tab directly. So now the imports are not in the same order in Production as was saw in the Approval tab.

In History of Production tab, it shows that the imports are outated.

Version 8 - Oudated

Version 9 - Oudated

Version 10 - Imports finished (Last Transport package) - Imports were sucessfull in System State (Production Tab History)

Version 5 - Oudated

Version 6 - Oudated

Version 7 - Imports finished - Imports were sucessfull in System State (Production Tab History)

Version 4 - Imports finished - Imports were sucessfull in System State (Production Tab History)

Version 3 - Imports finished - Imports were sucessfull in System State (Production Tab History)

Version 2 - Imports finished - Imports were sucessfull in System State (Production Tab History)

Version 1 - Imports finished (First Transport package) - Imports were sucessfull in System State (Production Tab History)

Please let me know how we can check whether all the activities in version 1 and version 2 are deployed into the Production server (System State Tab).

Thanks and Regards,

Palani

Edited by: Palaniappan A on Jun 14, 2010 12:09 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Palani,

every things seems to be in order as far as you described.... If you do not trust the NWDI, the only thing you can do to verify if everything made it to production, is to test your functionality there. but I think the problem is you do not completely understand what the status outdated means.

The first thing you have to understand is what happens at assembly. In NWDI assembly does not mean that only your latest changes get assembled for transport. In assembly, a whole new packages (SCA-file) will be created. The package will be created with the results of the latest build, of every DC, made in consolidation. consolidation contains all code the was released so far within the software component. This is the reason why a SCA file is cumulative. There is no delta transport required if you want to go from version 4 to 7 or from 7 to 10, as in your example. Version 10 contains all changes contained in 7,8 and 9 + thse new in 10.

If you would have imported every version right after it was assembled, imported to test and approval. the status of every version would be successfully imported. Because then every version would have been the latest version available at the time of import. What happened in your case is that you did not import version 8 and 9 before 10 was available. When 10 was available and had to be imported to production. NWDI realized, that all changes in 8 and 9 have also been imported with 10 so it set those packages to outdated. Actually you would loose functionality if you imported 8 or 9 to your prod system now.

System state helps CMS to decide if a package is newer or older than what is already deployed. so it will only reflect the version of the latest SCA file that was successfully imported. There are reasons why this is done this way, but I guess this will be too confusing to explain right now.

Hope this will help you to understand the issue a bit better.

Have a good time

Jan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your reponse.

Please let me know, how we can check that the activities in the version 8 an 9 are imported to production as we have some changes in the Version too...

Whether there is anyway to check this in SCA.

Thanks & Regars,

Palani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your response.

Please let me know, how we can check that the activities in the version 8 an 9 are imported to production as we have some changes in the Version 8 and 9.

Thanks & Regards,

Palani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

Thank you for your reponse.

Please let me know, how we can check that the activities in the version 8 an 9 are imported to production as we have some changes in the Version too...

Thanks & Regards,

Palani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Palani,

I do not know of any automated way to verify this. If you configured your track the way, that sources will be addes to the SCA, you can check the code there. SCA/SDA .. are basically zip archives.

But after all testing should not be necessary on production, becuase you should have alredy tested everything on your quality system.

Have a good time

Jan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your reply.

As per your suggestion we moved the Portal transport packages also to check whether the application is working on the Production server.

When we checked the application, it opened with an error,

Application error occurred during request processing.

Details: com.sap.tc.webdynpro.services.sal.api.WDDispatcherException: Requested deployable object 'wartsila.com/dcptip' and application 'PTIP_APP' are not deployed on the server. Please check the used URL.

Exception id: [000F203C83F2152800000909000061DA0004892114A3DEFE]

Please let me know, hw we can resolve the same.

Thanks & Regards,

Palani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Palani,

I cannot remember to suggest to you that you should deploy anything to your production system. I just tried to explain to you what outdated means in NWDI. Proper testing should always be done on the Quality system.

So what did you transport to productions now? You transported with NWDI? Did you test your application on QA system before?

Kind regards

Jan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

Sorry, if i have mentioned anything wrong in my previous post.

As the last import in NWDI was successfull, we thought that all the NWDI transport packages are imported successfully to the Production server. We imported the Portal EPA package to the Production server from Quality. Then when we check the application it was throwing the error.

The application has been tested in the QA environment throughlly, There was no problem in the QA.

Thanks & Regards,

Palani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Palani,

no problem.

Well, it seems you are missing one DC on your production environment then. This is very very unusual.

Please download the SCA from your application from production tab. Open the SCA file with your favorite zip tool. Check the DEPLOYARCHIVES\ folder for SDA files. As far as I understood you have 3 DCs so there should be 3 SDA files there. Check the names if the missing DC/SDA is there.

Check the component info for the missing component, too.

Thank you

Jan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your quick response.

In the SCA, I am able to find the 3 DC's that are as SDA's.

When I checked in the WebDynpro content, I was not able to find the Application which was used.

Hope NWDI transports are not successfull.

There is a option to Add the import packages from History in Test tab, Whether we can use the same to re-import all the transport packages from test tab ans then through the Approval, Production and System state

Please let me know, whether this is possible, Since the re-import of outdated NWDI transport packages from production tab is not possible.

Thanks & Regards,

Palani

Edited by: Palaniappan A on Jun 16, 2010 2:50 PM

Edited by: Palaniappan A on Jun 17, 2010 8:18 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please help me to find a solution.

The application was working fine in QA and when the same imports are transported to the production it is not working. Few Transport packages in the Production tab are shown as outdated.

Please let me know how to solve this issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Palani

Edited by: Palaniappan A on Jun 17, 2010 10:22 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Palani,

sorry if there are delays sometimes, but I am pretty busy at my job at the moment ;).

Well if I where you I would proceed as follows. But you have to evaluate if this is a appropriate way in your environment and situation!

Is it correct, that the application oyu want to transport is only on SC with 3 DCs right?

1. check if there has been a new release of your application since you imported to production. If not proceed to 2. If a new release has been mad, you have to evaluate if the new changes can be transported to production. But I guess this should be no problem since your application is not running at prod anyways at the moment.

2. Check your CONSOLIDATION CBS buildspaces if all 3 DCs are there as expected.

3. Do an assembly of your SC again. Choose to include Modifiable Sources into Archive. Maybe give your assembly a nice name not as cryptic as the default. Maybe Initial version. or something like that. Be creative

4. I would undeploy the 3 DC of your SC on your quality environment so you can see if the deployment will contain everything now. If you do not undeploy, you can not be sure if everything will get deployed. Do a db backup of your QA system if you are not confident with undeploying an working applicaiton.

5. Check the system info of your QA if all 3 components have been deployed

6. Test your application in QA. If everything is ok proceed. If not there is a general problem with your track...

7. Approve the version you just tested.

8. maybe undeploy the incomplet part of your SC in Porduction to have the same starting pint as in QA.

9. Import to production.

10. Do a test in prod.

11. Let me know the result

Of course this is a pure troubleshooting approach. It is not necessary to do it this way ever time you have a new version..

Have a good time

Jan