cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

syndication file transfer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I do not have much knowledge of how XI works.So just want to know if i want to transfer data from MDM to remote system using syndiactor then how XI will receive the file from outbound port of MDM or how XI get the notification that there is some file in outbound port.

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey,

You can configure Sender MDM Adapter in PI (if you are on MDM 7.1), as soon as MDSS runs and writes the file to Ready folder, it will call the sender MDM Adapter which is looking at that port, the file is transferred to that sender communication channel and delivered to receiver system after message processing. In this case, you get seamless integration since the syndication process is instantiated by MDSS and ends with PI picking the file ( one single process)

If you are on MDM 5.5, you need to use Sender File adapter, this keeps polling the Ready folder (as per the polling interval set in adapter configuration), after the file is in ready folder, the adapter will pick the file and deliver to receiver system. you will have message break in between since MDSS and Sender File adapter are two independent process.

Using MDM Adapter is the preferred way of MDM<-> PI integration.

>>If i have more than one PI system and i configured that MDM port in both PI system then which system will receive that event.

This is not permitted, you should have only 1 PI communication channel for 1 Port (1-1 relationship). If you have multiple PI channels, then any one of them could get it and the second wont.

>>Why it is not possible in case of manual syndication??

If you manually go to syndicator and select File->Port and then syndicate, then you will get error notification (from SP04 onwards).

If you manually go to syndicator and select File->Open and then execute the syndication map, then you wont get error notification since MDSS is not triggered in this case, only syndication server is triggered.

Thanks

Aamir

Edited by: Aamir Suhail on Jun 11, 2010 7:30 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sudhanshu,

Message Flow from MDM to PI: Pre-requisite: Syndication services should be always running

MDM JCA Adapter catches the syndication event and uses the MDM Port functions to retrieve the data. It is important to understand that only MDSS is able to throw the syndication event. So whenever file comes to your ready Outbound folder MDSS throw this syndication event which is being picked(catch) by MDM JCA Adapter(MDM-PI Adapter). So in this manner PI/XI always get notification that there is some file in Outbound Port folder.

Please refer for more detais below Article: Page 7 of 22

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/30852589-ac68-2c10-a988-efe75fcdd...

Note: PI/XI will not get notification if you do manual syndication using Syndicator.

Kindly revert if you still have any doubts else mark thread as answered.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mandeep,

I have two doubts

1. How particular MDM JCA adapter get the syndication event.

My understanding : As we configured that particular port in PI this is the reason that PI will recieve the syndication event.

My Doubt : If i have more than one PI system and i configured that MDM port in both PI system then which system will receive that event.

2.Why it is not possible in case of manual syndication??

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sudhanshu,

For pt. 1 Your understanding is correct, The MDM PI Adapter delivers data to and pulls data from MDM by using the MDM Java API port functions. Please have a look at Architecture, you will see MDM PI Adapter communicates with MDM using API

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwmdm71/helpdata/en/48/d1ed01e1c60783e10000000a42189d/content.htm

Also regarding your doubt about PI: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwmdm71/helpdata/en/48/9854c94d3217cee10000000a421937/content.htm

Herer in the end it states that Check that there is no more than one MDM sender configured per MDM outbound port in your system landscape, Deviating from this guideline can lead to a race condition state where different MDM sender communication channels are monitoring the same MDM outbound port, and only the first one receives the syndicated port data.

For Pt.2 Using Manual syndication: 1st thing is that you need to place file to ready outbound folder somehow which does not happen directly if we use syndicator. 2nd thing how do you throw the event when Syndication completes through syndicator. As for syndication Server(MDSS) this event is being thrown to MDM Server(MDS) from where through JAVA API, MDM PI Adapter communicates(check the Architecture diagram as given in above link). This is how MDM PI Adapter works.

But if you are using File Adapter rather than MDM PI Adapter, as soon as you place the file to desired location as you configured using FTP either through MDSS or manually placed file to that location through Syndicator in this case FTP continuosly pinging that folder as soon as any file comes it is being picked by PI/XI.

Please refer the complete MDM PI Adapter Guide for more details:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwmdm71/helpdata/en/48/956ccc9521062de10000000a42189d/frameset.htm

Hope it clarifies you..

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Both guys cleared my doubts.

Thanks for such a fast reply.

@ mandeep : if you dont mind can you please share yr id or linked in connection i have to ask some question for my future growth.You can send yr id on my personal email <removed_by_moderator> if you dont want it to be public.

Again i want to say something .I dont how much experience you have in MDM but your answers are really impressing and to the point.I am wishing that if possible i will try to work with guys lik you.

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Read the "Rules of Engagement"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mandeep,

I beg to differ to below points

>>For Pt.2 Using Manual syndication: 1st thing is that you need to place file to ready outbound folder somehow which does not happen directly if we use syndicator

We can very well trigger MDSS via manual syndication process, we just need to have configured Outbound Port for this syndication map.

Here is the excerpt from help.sap document.

The syndication event can also be triggered by manual port syndication as follows

i. Open the MDMSyndicator.

ii. Go to File menu u2192 Newu2026

iii. Set Type=port

iv. Choose relevant port

v. Execute syndication

If the port is not selected, manual syndication is not possible with the MDM PI Adapter

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwmdm71/helpdata/en/48/cee75a6dc1581ce10000000a42189c/frameset.htm

At my client side, we have configured several manual Ports (on Demand basis), we simply go to Syndicator and trigger the records manually and it goes to ready folder, from where its picked by MDM Adapter.

>>2nd thing how do you throw the event when Syndication completes through syndicator

Even this trigger is not required, as long as there is a file in Ready folder, MDM adapter will pick it up (pretty much similar to File Adapter).

A simple test could be to copy the file manually in Ready folder (without MDSS) and see if MDM adapter picks it up. works fine for us.

Thanks

Aamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aamir,

This is also an alternative way of doing this but Port Concept should ideally use with MDIS & MDSS. During Syndication If the port is not selected, manual syndication is not possible with the MDM PI Adapter.

At my client side, we have configured several manual Ports (on Demand basis), we simply go to Syndicator and trigger the records manually

So i hope you too do this when during Syndicator you use Type = Port.

But i would like to add here, Please refer the below link Glossary where they havn't told about MDM syndicator.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwmdm71/helpdata/en/48/d1edabe1c60783e10000000a42189d/content.htm

Also please refer page No: Message delivery Failed to and to resolve this error: on page 13 of 22 where they have clearly stated that Message delivery Failed due to MDSS is not running.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/30852589-ac68-2c10-a988-efe75fcdd...

This was my doubt that MDSS should be running but now i believe in you as you said A simple test could be to copy the file manually in Ready folder (without MDSS) and see if MDM adapter picks it up. works fine for us. . :-).

Even this trigger is not required, as long as there is a file in Ready folder, MDM adapter will pick it up (pretty much similar to File Adapter)

But lastly i would like to add MDM PI Adapter does not pick file itself like in case of File adapter, it picks file using MDS. Because MDS sends an event notification to the MDM Java API which is forwarded to all registered event listeners. Since the MDM PI Adapter is a registered event listener So I am sure that if you place your file to ready outbound folder and your MDM Server is not running then it would not able to send notification to MDM PI Adapter(which is a registered event listener) and hence MDM PI Adapter would not able to receive the file.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>it picks file using MDS

I completely agree with you on this Mandeep.

If MDS or MDSS is not running, PI won't pick the file.

Actually what i was meant was that as long as MDS and MDSS are running, we can manually go to Syndicator and trigger the file manually to invoke MDSS or we can also place a file in Ready folder and PI adapter will pick the file.

If MDS or MDSS are not running, PI has no way to pick the file but i would assume in that case we will see error in Sender MDM Adapter of PI and we can trigger alert e-mails for that (from SP04 onwards).

Even a file Adapter won't pick the file if FTP server is not running

I hope we both are on the same page now

Thanks

Aamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I just want to know what is the benefit of using MDM PI adapter if same thing we can achieve through file adapter.

My Understanding :

With file adapter ,it will check the ready folder regularly what ever inetrval defined in configuration of file adapter.Means it regularly hit the folder.

MDM PI adapter :

With MDM PI Adapter , It check ready folder only when it handle any event that triggered by MDS.

In this way MDM PI adapter is more performance oriented.

Am i right or some other difference of using these adapter

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

MDM Adapter gives you seamless integration of MDM with PI, there is no message break, you have visibility over message right from the time MDSS runs. In case of file adapter, you get a message break, MDSS will deliver the file to Ready folder and from there File adapter has to pick it, there is no monitoring from the time MDSS is finished delivering the file to Ready folder to the time File adapter picks it up.

Error handling is better in case of MDM adapter as well.

Thanks

Aamir