cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BPM for non-production systems?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have Solution Manager's Business Process Monitoring setup to alert on a production process (workflow items in status error). But now the developers would like it setup for monitoring the QA systems as well. When I create a monitor It seems that I only have the option of selecting a logical system: then the production system is automatically selected, and cannot be changed. Presumably since the leading role of the solution is "production" that's how it knows which system to use.

Do I have to create a new solution with the leading role set to QA, just so that I can create a new monitor? That seems like overkill, since SAP says that most customers only need on solution (unless you're in a VAR scenario).

Regards,

Sean Morgan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, it's not possible according to this book:

http://www.amazon.de/Business-Process-Monitoring-Solution-Manager/dp/3836213354/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s...

Translated it says: " It is only possible to change the leading role directly after creating the solution, as long as there are no logical compontents assigned".

It's quite an issue, so if anyone finds a way to do this, it would be highly appreciated

Axel

Former Member
0 Kudos

That is not the answer I was hoping for

But you did answer my question, so full points for that.

Thanks.

Paul_Babier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Sean,

I actually haven't tried it, but what about removing the logical components from the solution, changing the leading role ( as there will be no logical components assigned at that point), then adding the logical components back into the solution? As I mentioned, I haven't tried it, but it might work.

Regards,

Paul

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hi Sean,

meanwhile you already got your answer and it comprises both options as outlined under http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/SM/FAQBusinessProcess+Monitoring#FAQBusinessProcessMonitoring-Isitalsopossibletomonitornonproductivebackendsystems%3F where creating the the new solution is clearly preferred.

But if you encounter future questions perhaps you want to look into http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/SM/FAQBusinessProcess+Monitoring first.

Best Regards

Volker

keiji_mishima
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi. Sean

This is not a beautiful wAy but technically it is possible.

To QA system create new logical component and assign production role in smsy.

(Actually you can assign production and QA role to same system.)

If the logical component of QA system has production role, then you can also use QA system

in business process description.

But I think it is better to create another solution for QA system.

Because if you maintain QA process in the same solution, you will see

The process for QA in BPMon operation windows. it must be bit unclear for end user.

So when it is for test or development purpose, I recommend you to create another solution.

Best Regards

Keiji

chris_johnson3
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Sean,

Not sure if this would work or not, but could you put the QA box in the solution? i.e. go into SMSY -> System Groups and Logical Components -> Solution Landscapes -> select your Solution. Then Right Click on your QA box and put it in your solution.

Then you should be able to assign BPM to it.

Cheers,

Chris