Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When not to use SAP PI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Do you agree?

[http://architectsap.com/blog/sap-netweaver-pi-7-1-usage-scenarios-when-not-to-use-sap-pi|http://architectsap.com/blog/sap-netweaver-pi-7-1-usage-scenarios-when-not-to-use-sap-pi]

Best Regards,

Pedro M. D. Pereira

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pereria,

i can agree with you.

there is one more limitation. PI is not unicode compatible.

Former Member
0 Kudos

@ Naresh,

there is one more limitation. PI is not unicode compatible.

Make your facts clear ...PI is unicode compatible.

Regards,

Neetesh

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Synchronous integration

I disagree either! SYNC comms are cool

User Interface Integration scenario

I don't agree totally, i think it depends from what people want to do, per eg: In a B2B scenario, where Portal needs to acess an application, which is outside the company, i think communication should't be direct.

Web Service interface of backend application

I don't disagree totally, if in a company exists only one or two servers... :P. Normally when i hear something like that, it comes from people, who still have some resistance about PI and midlewares in general...If there is only one scenario or two, well, who cares about a middleware, why spending money on it. However, if you have complex architectures, several applications, multiple scenarios, obviously a middleware adds a lot of value, and if a company already has it and pays for it, why not to use it?

Any more opinions?

Naresh, why do you say PI is not unicode compatible? Can you open a thread with an example?

Best Regards,

Pedro M. D. Pereira

Edited by: Pedro Pereira on Jun 22, 2010 1:12 PM

Edited by: Pedro Pereira on Jun 22, 2010 1:12 PM

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Some people experienced some problems with PI while working on different projects and different Integrations, so it is not right judgment to say donu2019t use PI or PI is not a right choice.

3 years back I have done one B2B migration Project from Web Methods to SAP XI 3.0(sp19),I have completed first one interface(complex logic involved RFC Looksups,DB lookups) , we have started testing the interface with different data, I experienced really worst performance,J2EE engine down, taking long time to execute then I got a feeling that PI is not a best choice for my client landscape, then we have changed our PI design approach, followed best practices then in a days time we experienced really good performance.

What I am trying to say here is u201CFollow best design while working on complex, or state full transactions, sync and high volume data interfacesu201D.

If integrations very few and both system supports web service class then you donu2019t need middleware at all.

Regards,

Raj

former_member200962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Synchronous integration

In a SYNC scenario any middleware has to keep the resources blocked till the call yields some result....so an additional amount of resource-consumption is inevitable .....but then it surely does not pull down your XI server (unless the data transferred is huge)

User Interface Integration scenario

Agreed.

Web Service interface of backend application:  In such cases, the web service interface can be easily consumed in the 
source application. In such scenarios, SAP PI adds no value for transformation or backend integration.

SAP PI is mainly used for Transformation and monitoring.....if these things are taken care-off by the source application itself then there is no need.....but is doing the Transformation possible/ feasible for every source application consuming a WebService?

Regards,

Abhishek.

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. Synchronous integration: Its incorrect to say that PI is not recommended for this. No doubt that async scenario would perform better, but that doesn't mean that sync scenario can't be handled. If you think in other way as what to do if not PI, then you won't find any better options. Monitoring and administration is the advantage that PI provides in this case. There are many recommended approaches too about the usage of sync scenarios.

2. User Interface Integration scenario: The point mentioned in the link is correct and relevant. For Portal integration, it is not recommended to use PI in between. However, you may find some scenarios not following this as per the business needs.

3. Web Service interface of backend application: With PI 7.1 there is option for point to point communication which were introduced due to the same reason. Such connection uses the powerful administration capabilities of PI.

Regards,

Prateek

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Pereira,

it is wrong judgement , there is no limitations like that, i hav done many Sync scenarios.

just ignore it.

Regards,

Raj