cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification before implementing ChaRM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Amazed to see, didn't find the EPC diagram on the internet regarding standard workflow for ChaRM. Through [this|http://www.sapgeek.net/2009/10/change-request-management/] diagram and reading book of Mr. Matthias & Torsten, what I concluded is as follows.

Process:

- Request can be raised by end-user through Service Desk, of which Support Message Nr. would be generated and email would be sent to respective SAP Team.
- Change Manager will create Change Request
- Advisory Board will approve/reject change request
- On getting approval, SAP Team will implement changes
- SAP Team, after testing, will forward Change Request (which is bundled with Transport Requets), to QAS server, without involvement of BASIS
- Requester and SAP Team will Test. Requester/Tester either approves testing or reject, which again will be rectified by SAP Team.
- On approving Changes in QAS, Advisory Board is required to approve changes to transport it to Production System
- On approving by Advisory Board, BASIS will transport Changes to Production System.

Requirement:

Solution Manager Service Desk
Solution Manager ChaRM

Can someone please endorse my concepts?

Thanks a zillion!

Edited by: Nayab Siddiqui on Jun 10, 2010 10:42 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Miguel_Ariño
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello there,

As a first stop to clarify concepts about ChaRM, SDN blog /people/dolores.correa/blog/2009/07/23/change-request-management-scenario-working-examples is very good. Most SDN blogs by Dolores Correa are about ChaRM and explain clearly and step by step what goes on in ChaRM.

Commenting on your overview of the ChaRM process, I think that you get the gist of it, but there is a certain innacuracy about the document flow and the number of steps involved. I think that you have a good summary in your description but not quite all the steps.

Let me briefly outline the process up to the point where a cor rection document is created (The Solution Manager rkt documents suffice after this point to explain the flow):

- Solution Manager project is created in SOLAR_PROJECT_ADMIN, with proper system landscape and IMG project

- SDMN (Service Desk document for the maintenance cycle) and task list are created when cha nge req uest management is activated for the SOLAR_PROJECT_ADMIN project

- You create a cha nge requ est (with Service Desk document type SDCR) and assign it to the SDMN

- From here there is the approval flow of the change req uest that you talked about

- An approved change requ est is given a subject , either urg ent corr ection or normal corr ection

From here, if the subject is urg ent cor rection , then a new task list is created along an SDHF Service Desk document. If it is a normal corre ction , an SDMJ is created and assigned to the maintenance cycle's task list.

For the flows of the corr ection documents, please go to https://websmp105.sap-ag.de/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000707668&; -> Optimization with Maintenance Optimizer EHP1 and check the normal corr ection and urg ent corre ction documents there.

These documents explain the flow within normal corre ction and urg ent corr ection documents, in the standard ChaRM flow. Of course, you may adapt the flow to suit your needs.

I hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Miguel Ariñ

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you everyone for suggesting useful links and clarifying my concepts about ChaRM. Your replies will surely be helpful for all new comers !

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

When you get time check these demo available on SMP

for NC

https://websmp110.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000872582009E/index.htm

for UC

https://websmp110.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000872612009E/index.htm

it will clarify your doubt role wise.

Hope prb solved.

Regards

Prakhar

0 Kudos

Dear Nayab,

You can find the desired workflow diagrams in the following SDN Blog:

/people/dolores.correa/blog/2009/07/23/change-request-management-scenario-working-examples -> Change Request Management scenario: Working examples

Please scroll to the bottom to see the diagrams, as you see the actions executed depend on the correcitno type and the project phase.

you can see also which team executed evry step of the flow.

I hope this helps, with kind regards,

Marta

former_member385033
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nayab,

There are several ways to implement ChaRM, and a general solution is not possible for all customers. Your approach is one on many possible options.

First of all you have to consider the different transaction types (normal/ur gent corrections).

For instance: Ur gent corrections are imported automatically when the developer performs the action "Pass correction to test".

Normal corrections need an separate import as you wrote.

If you have or need additional project systems, then you maybe should consider create an own transction type with additional steps.

ChaRM process is closely connected to your transport and system landscape.

This is what I often see when I work for my customers in difference to your approach:

A key user creates the the change request, or the service desk employee does it, and the change manager approves the change request.

But this depents on your company's need and your internal processes.

Finally I'd recommend to review the concept by your security team, or maybe your auditors, as it has a big impact to all your systems.

ChaRM implementation should be part of a superordinate change control concept.

Please also keep in mind: Depending on your industry or some legal requirements, some additional steps could be required.

Best Regards,

Holger

0 Kudos

Dear Nayab,

You can find the desired workflow diagrams in the following SDN Blog:

/people/dolores.correa/blog/2009/07/23/change-request-management-scenario-working-examples -> Change Request Management scenario: Working examples

Please scroll to the bottom to see the diagrams, as you see the actions executed depend on the correcitno type and the project phase.

you can see also which team executed evry step of the flow.

I hope this helps, with kind regards,

Marta