cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Root elements in the XSD Schema

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dear MDM gurus,

I have manually created an XSD Schema and I can import it in the Syndicator without any problem.

I have 3 different Root elements in the schema that I want to use and map to the corresponding table of this type.

In my Syndicator screen in the Rood dropdown box I can see all three of the Root elements that I have in the schema.

If I select the first Root element - everything goes fine and I can do my mapping, save the map, etc.

The problem is that if I select the second or third root element to do the mapping for them, the syndicator does not show the structure in the Item Mapping after that.

I tried moving the Second root element of the schema and make it first and it works with it, but then the other two are not appearing and I have the same issue.

Does MDM support only one Root element in the Schema? If that's the case, why does it show all three of them in the dropdown?

Here is an example:

1. If I have them in this order in my XSD

<xs:element name="ManufacturerGroupNumber" type="ManufacturerGroupNumbers"/>
		<xs:element name="SupplierGroupNumber" type="SupplierGroupNumbers"/>
		<xs:element name="SupplierLocationNumber" type="Suppliers"/>

I can only see the structure when I select the "ManufacturerGroupNumber".

2. If I have them in the Schema in this order

<xs:element name="SupplierLocationNumber" type="Suppliers"/>
		<xs:element name="SupplierGroupNumber" type="SupplierGroupNumbers"/>
		<xs:element name="ManufacturerGroupNumber" type="ManufacturerGroupNumbers"/>

I can only see the structure when I select the first one again "SupplierLocationNumber" and I can only do the mapping for it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Boris

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Boris,

As per xml standards you should have only one root element in your schema. The best thing to do is create a root element Product and include all these three elements. Then in your map you will see product and with in it all the three elements. Then you can do the mapping accordingly.

Regards,

Satish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Satish,

Thank you for your quick response.

I read some of the architectural approaches and XML specifications and depending on your design, you may have only one Root element or in rare cases Several Root elements. In my case, I was advised by our PI experts to use Multiple Root elements and this gives me the following:

Advantages:

u2022 The reusability of the schema definition is available for all types and all elements defined in the global namespace.

Disadvantages:

u2022 Since there are many global elements, there are many valid XML documents.

I initially had the schema as you suggested, but they didn't like it in PI and advised me to change it with having multiple roots.

What I'm trying to figure out is if there is a bug in MDM that does not allow to use the rest of the root elements, so I can open an OSS message.

Thanks,

Boris

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Boris,

If you can give your entire schema here, I can upload and can see for you.

Regards,

---Satish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satish,

I tested also in older MDM versions like 5.5 SP6 and 7.1 SP3 and the issue is the same... I'll open a ticket with SAP to have them check this.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Boris