cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning Area Initialization when Data is locked

0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Since we are having single instance of planning for all our location across the globe we get into Planning Area Initialization failure many times because user is locking the data. Unfortunately it is important for us to initialize the planning area everyday because new Materials are getting created everyday and users wants to start planning interactively on the same day.

From all you expert I want to know what is best strategy to handle all CIF jobs and Planning Area Initialization for this kind of global implementation.

Few important points below can help you narrow down the scope of my question and hence you can answer accordingly.

1. We are aware about logging Off the users and not allowing them to login for the period background jobs are running. But we do not want to go for it.

2. As mentioned above, we want to run the Planning Area Initialization every day. So thought of running once in a week does not work

VERY IMPORTANT:

I did some testing and was trying to see what will happen if we do not check Planning Area Lock when running the initialization. To my surprise I found that even if my data is lock and I try to complete Planning Area Initialization, my job get completed successfully. So my another question is - What is the RISK if we decide not to check Data lock while running the Planning Area Initialization. Our Idea is to copy the existig program and comment out the Function Call where it is checking Lock.

Do let me know your valuable thoughts. Hope I am very clear in my requirements.

Thanks

Pavan Sarda

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pavan,

I suggest 2 pointers on this issue :

1.Improve the performance of the planning area intialisation,lesser the time it takes lesser the probability of it failing due to user locks.

I have seen opportunities to improve the planning area intialisation run time which can bring run time from hours to minutes.

2.Another perpective on job sheduling is : To create job varinats based on the Region.For example schedule job variants for Asia Region in US working hours or schedule jobs for US region in Asia working hours.The variants should be created based on master data set relevant for a particular region.

Regards,

Manish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manish

Good input. But I have a question on this approach.

In a global company kind of situation, there is a huge possibility that the master data is common across all regions. In that case, for Planning Area Initialization my take is we cannot restrict the initilization by Master Data. (since the Master Data is common all over).

My input as follows.

One band-aid approach to the problem is to use the paramter /SAPAPO/SDP94_D_MODE with value "I" so that the default screen is in DISPLAY mode when Planning Book is opened. As I said, this would just minimize the risk with forgetful users and I agree that with this approach the issue is not resolved completely.

Regards

Sam

0 Kudos

Hello Everyone

I really appreciate your replies. I'll like to make couple of more points

1. Unfortunately, we can not initialize planning area by Master Data.

2. Reason why we would like to run the Planning Area Initialization everyday is because if there is any new product location added then it should be initialized. That means, if there is no new product location then there is no need to run planning area initialize. Is there any way we can find out if new product is added or not. If we can then program can be develope to check the condition and accordingly initialize or not.

3. Coming back to my original question - Is there any risk if we run the Planning Area Initialization without checking the version lock. I have tested in Debug mode that even if my data is locked and if we bypass the locking logic, initialization happens correctly. It happens correctly for new product location as well. So, question again is what is the risk? Can we run planning area initialization during weekdays without checking and during weekend with checking version lock.

Your replies will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Pavan Sarda

0 Kudos

Experts,

I am still awaiting answer on this. I'll appreciate if someone can share whats the Best Practice in Single instance of planning area across the globe.

Thanks

Pavan Sarda

digambar_narkhede
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pavan ,

Please find information on [Master Data Locking Concept|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm50/helpdata/en/24/7877378d743f56e10000009b38f889/frameset.htm]

and as per standard system requirement planning area should not be used in edit mode during Planning area initialization to avoid failure.

Regards,

Digambar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Apart from above, I give below our practice, if it could of any help.

We had set the PA initialzation activity weekly twice ( once in the middle of the week and other on Saunday).

We had lot many new products created , but made a process to generated time series objects weekly twice.

We set the job at around 00:30 hrs- a slot where no job was running and business users were not opertating.

If youe is a globally operating system with users operating 24 hrs, then you may negotiate some time slot for back up and PA initialzatioj at least 2-3 hrs

Regards

Datta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Digambar,

Do you think that the Master Data Locking Concept would affect the performance of Transactional data processing in the Inbound of APO if it is active for Location Products and Products?