cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question on universe refresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I have a universe over BEX query. If my bex query changes , i have to refresh the universe to catch up the changes.. My question is if a new charectaristic comes into Bex query and replicated into universe. If i save the universe , will the web i reports still work?

If a new charectaristic comes into bex query and the universe is refreshed and saved to cms.. will all the webi reports lying on the universe work properly..i had faced this error long back..my new client is looking for a solution on this..could you please suggest me on this, how it works and what will be maintanence issues..

thnaks

Prashanth

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

got the required Info

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the response.

I need to know what I may have done in the universe that is not allowing me to run the reports.

Nothing was deleted in BEX

What have I done wrong?

How can I fix it or troubleshoot it?

Has anybody else encountered this problem?

If so how did you fix it?

Thanks for your help

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

I added Restricked key figures and calculated key figures and I when I run my webi report I get this error message:

Query 1 - Maintenance Orders Maintenance Plan and Actual - Regular Hours

A database error occured. The database error text is: The MDX query SELECT { [Measures].[4IDV96Q35XYNK4WT6ECMO487E], [Measures].[4IDV96IEMZCY1IDD0KAAE29HM], [Measures].[4IDV96XROWKD2RG9C8EYY66X6] } ON COLUMNS , NON EMPTY CROSSJOIN( [0COORD_TYPE].[LEVEL01].MEMBERS, [0PMPLANGRP].[LEVEL01].MEMBERS ) DIMENSION PROPERTIES [0COORD_TYPE].[20COORD_TYPE], [0PMPLANGRP].[20PMPLANGRP] ON ROWS FROM [ZPM_M04/ZPM_M04_REGULARHOURS] SAP VARIABLES [!V000002] INCLUDING [0BUS_AREA].[75] [!V000001] INCLUDING [0MAINTPLANT].[7500] [!V000010] INCLUDING 1/1/2007 12:00:00 AM : 7/6/2010 12:00:00 AM failed to execute with the error Unknown error. (WIS 10901)

I see the universe in the query pane and I am and I see LOV and run query button.

What do I have to do in the universe to get this fixed

Thanks for your help

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

With the latest release (XI 3.1) there are substantially better controls on how a universe over a cube works. The universe designer is prompted for changes and can react.

But the bottom line is that adding objects to an existing universe should not impact any existing reports. That should be true whether it's a cube or relational source. It may be that under the old versions (where a cube was essentially dropped and rebuilt to handle changes to the cube structure) that there were issues with Web Intelligence reports. I don't think that should happen with the current release.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hii Dave

Thanks for yoyr prompt reply....So from what you said i understand, even if my Bex structure changes ( Means if i add a new charectaristic) and my universe is refreshed ..it will not effect my existing web i reports..

Am i correct?

Thanks

Karthik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hii Dave ,

I just now tried to reproduce the issue

> I created a Bex query , than a universe over it and than a web i report- Evrything went succesfull and the report executed....

when i changed the Bex query and refreshed the universe, the web i report working fine. but if i add the new charectaristic into web i report, it throws me an error saying " A database error occured : the database error text is supplied XML is not valid (0_Sold_CG).(Level 1) (WIS 10901).

Thanks

Karthik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you provide more details of what you did at BEx query, universe and WebI level?

Have you deleted objects in the BEx query?

Have you exported the universe?

Does your WebI report reference an obsoloete objects that has been hidden in the universe?

Regards,

Didier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Didier,

The ptroblem was with the Bex object i solved it..

My question is..

If a bex query undergo lot of changes in backend( adding hirarcies, variables) ....and universe is refreshed on top of it.. Will the old web i reports stillo work? I noticed thsi error 6 months ago with my previous client..

If the OLAP universe has many changes, what do we need to do from web i procpective..?

Thanks

Karthik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Normally when you refresh the universe, the WebI document keeps a reference to universe objects even if the names or definitions have changed.

But if you are using objects in a WebI document that have been deleted from the Bex query, then the WebI query will remove obsollete objects and of course will impact WebI document.

So one of the recommended path is to use the WebI change source feature to remap obsolete objects to other objects coming from the same universe.

The other way is of course to modify WebI document in order to take into account BEx query and universe changes.

This is a standard WebI behavior and it is not related to SAP BW.

Didier