Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking Objects during development phase

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I would like to block objects during the development phase.

I mean if for example an user is currently modifying one specific table and a second user wants to do some modification on the same table (object) the second developer will be notified that is not possible because the table is being used.

Is this something that I can control / manage from the authorization perspective? How could I do that?

I will appreciate any idea.

Thanks,

FedeX

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks guys for your feedback.

1) you probably know which transaction / object can I use to control "create subtasks" & "change task assignment"

2) Roles are not considered as object in SAP? .. in the landscape where I am currently working 2 developers are able to modify the same role without being notified that another user is currently working on it.

Appreciate your Help

Regards

FedeX

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fedex,

By default, if a user is working on a table & if a second user tries to maintain the same, SAP will not allow it.

Its the standard maintained by SAP itself that it will not allow a second user to maintain the same.

It will issue an error or notification for the second user automatically

You need not to do anything from the authorization point of view.

Its taken care by SAP software itself

martin_voros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

as it was mentioned two users can't modify one object at same time. But I guess your question is little bit different. All modified objects (ignore local objects) are assigned to a transport after first change until the transport is released. After that they can be assigned to next transport after new change. When second user wants to change object already assigned to transport then he can't assign it to another transport. He needs to create a subtask which is assigned to his user account. After that he will be able to modify same object. So if you remove authorizations to create sub task then it will block them. Don't forget to remove authorization to change task assignment to another user.

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks guys for your feedback.

1) you probably know which transaction / object can I use to control "create subtasks" & "change task assignment"

2) Roles are not considered as object in SAP? .. in the landscape where I am currently working 2 developers are able to modify the same role without being notified that another user is currently working on it.

Appreciate your Help

Regards

FedeX

0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

0 Kudos

Hi.

I didn't know that you are talking about roles. You can use transports to transfer roles between systems but roles are not assigned to transport automatically So you can't use my approach for roles. The roles are client dependent. Therefore you can't change same role at same time in one client. What exactly do you want to achieve?

Cheers

0 Kudos

>

> 1) you probably know which transaction / object can I use to control "create subtasks" & "change task assignment"

>

It is controlled by transaction SE01 & Authorization Object S_TRANSPRT. You will find activities Create/Change for request types

> 2) Roles are not considered as object in SAP? .. in the landscape where I am currently working 2 developers are able to modify the same role without being notified that another user is currently working on it.

>

As explained earlier by Martin, roles are client dependent. No two users can work on the same role at any time. SAP will throw a message that it is "locked" by the user