cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS/400 products really needed for SAP to work properly

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My team just completed an OSDB migration of an important customer. The source and target systems are below:

SOURCE

Servers (2): HP9000

O.S.: HP-UX 11.0

DB Mgr: Informix 7.31FD6

SAP R/3: 4.6B

SAP kernel: 46D_EXT 64 bits

TARGET

Servers (2): iSeries 550

O.S.: OS/400 V5R3M0

DB Mgr: DB2/400 V5R3M0

SAP R/3: 4.6B

SAP kernel: 46D_EXT 64 bits

Things are working great, however the customer came up with a question I need to answer soon:

Which of the following products (installed on OS/400) is STRICTLY needed for SAP to work properly now after the migration? ...

the customer wants to know if removing them is safe to avoid paying licenses or if something will break in SAP if they're removed.

Any ideas?, thanks a lot.

NOTE: Primary language on OS/400 is spanish, english is secondary.

Program

under Product

License Option Description

5722SS1 25 OS/400 - NetWare Integración Mejorada

5722SS1 36 OS/400 - Soporte impresora PSF/400 1-45 IPM

5722SS1 37 OS/400 - Soporte impresora PSF/400 1-100 IPM

5722SS1 38 OS/400 - Soporte impr. PSF/400 toda velocidad

5722SS1 41 OS/400 - Recursos conmutables HA

5722SS1 42 OS/400 - Rendimiento de Diario HA

5722AF1 *BASE Programas de utilidad AFP

5722BR1 1 BRMS - Función de Red

5722BR1 2 BRMS - Función Avanzada

5722CM1 *BASE Programas de utilidad de comunicaciones

5722DE1 *BASE DB2 UDB Extenders

5722DE1 1 DB2 UDB Text Extender

5722DE1 2 DB2 UDB XML Extender

5722DE1 3 Motor de búsqueda de texto

5722DP4 *BASE DB2 DataPropagator

5722IP1 *BASE IBM Infoprint Server

5722JS1 *BASE Planificador de trabajos avanzado

5722PT1 *BASE Performance Tools

5722PT1 1 Performance Tools – Gestor

5722PT1 2 Performance Tools – Agente

5722QU1 *BASE Quero

5722ST1 *BASE Gestor Consulta DB2 y Kit Desarrollo SQL

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmmm looking over the list, albeit in another langauge, 5722SS1 options 41 and 42, are those journalling performance and journal caching? If so, they are billable software and might be able to go away. They are used for remote journalling to another system for something like Vision or Mimix, and are for performance with a high transaction load.

Or I could be wrong and those aren't what I think I remember!

Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Brand new Redbook - still in draft mode but can be viewed online and/or downloaded

Pages 76-77 contains -

Required IBM software products for an SAP implementation

The SAP installation guide provides a list of required software products and options for your SAP system installation. Table 8-2 shows, for example, that you need additional software (“product IDs”) in addition to the base set if you need Unicode or Java for your SAP implementation.

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpieces/pdfs/sg247166.pdf

This new redbook was a long time coming from IBM, but it's a beautiful thing!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Doreen,

Nice. Really a brand new redbook.

Checked those pages you mentioned (76 & 77) and contain basically what I needed (I already compared those lists vs mine) and although they don't mention specific SAP R/3 releases but since the customer is moving to ECC 5.0 this is one of the docs I'll use to back our reasons up.

Thanks a lot.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

For sure you can get rid of PT1 and BR1 as SAP does not require them. IMHO BRMS is more of a pain in the butt than it's worth for the cost, which can be quite high. A crafty CL program can replace it.

Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Victor,

Thanks for the answer too. Per command WRKLICINF on the OS/400 command line at the customer system, 5722DE1/2/3 and ST22QU1 required a license. We're checking if the customer will need to pay for those or not.

Volker,

We went to 4.6B EBCDIC ... there is not such 4.6B ASCII.

Only SAP release that gives you a choice of EBCDIC or ASCII is 4.6C, everything newer comes only in ASCII, everything older comes in EBCDIC for this platform.

There's a looong history behind this migration but everything started when the customer decided to go that way (EBCDIC) and although we ran into lots of problems (the migration kit provided by SAP never worked and we had to get a special kernel from them to migrate) and although the upgrade will be a pain the customer drove all of this.

Andy,

Thanks for the answer. The customer is deciding if he will keep BRMS. We'll see.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ricardo,

I hope, you went to 4.6B ASCII and not EBCDIC ...

Regards

Volker Gueldenpfennig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ricardo,

Christian has given you the direction. Just want to add my 2-cent...

Some options are "free" from IBM anyway. For example, all the DB2 extensions like 5722DE1 1/2/3. Also ST22QU1 used to be a chargable option, but is free now.

Thank you,

Victor

0 Kudos

Ricardo,

the list of required products can be found in the installation guide of the SAP release that you are using. Please note that SAP release 4.6B needs less products than e.g. SAP release 6.40, so if the customer is planning to upgrade to a higher release in the near future, they should have a look at the required products for their planned target release as well.

As for the products that are not listed in the installation guides as required, you should still look at the customer's environment before deleting them. For example, 5722BR1 is not strictly required to run SAP, but it is very helpful to setup and maintain automated backups. 5722PT1 is not strictly required by SAP, but can be very helpful to analyze performance problems at the operating system level.

Kind regards,

Christian Bartels.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Christian,

Thanks a lot for your reply. We checked the installation guide for the target release (ECC 5.0) and those products I posted in the original message are not included.

We are still checking based on what the customer wants to use which products will stay and which will be removed. Appreciate it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ricardo,

I think, from mentioned above, you can delete everything - at least for the SAP system, when you do not need it for other purposes.

Regards

Volker