cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customization of Personal Data in ESS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My aim is to know the end-to-end process of adding a new field to the personal data iView in ESS. How do I go about achieving this? I have no knowledge of ABAP. I know there is customization required in WD java, but how should I be doing this? Can we customize the standard view? Is it the right way to do it? Or are we supposed to create a new WD component and someone needs to give me an RFC from R3 to show that particular field?

Thanks & Regards,

Vaishnavi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI ,

As per i understand your requirement,You need to display additional field in the portal iview.

1.What is the new field?Check with abaper if the field is there in the table strcutre of that function module or not?

2.If the field is there in the backend RFC,you need to add a new UI elemnt in the webdynpro java view.

3.GO to nwds->import the DC->open the WD prespective to edit the view.

4.Expand the project and choose the view which you want to change.

5.If the field already exist in backend,create a new UI element correspond that filed

and in the properties set the value from the context.

6.If the field doesnot exist in backend,ask abaper to provide the field and then go to nwds->open the prj->

re-import the model and follow the step 5.

Regards,

Lavanya.G

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lavanya,

Thanks a lot for the information. Ok, so now I know we definetely need to have information from an ABAPer for this. So basically all this information on whether the field can be added or not and how it will be exposed to WD needs to be answered by an ABAPer. More importantly, there should be an RFC for me to call from WD to populate the new field right? I have another doubt though. You say I need to take the appropriate component in NWDS and add the field in the view. But we are tampering with the standard views right? If there's a system upgrade later, won't all this get over-written? Is it a better solution to make our own WD component and create another view and embed this into portal (though I have no idea if this'll work)? It would be great to have your inputs on these questions.

Thanks & Regards,

Vaishnavi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1.First you need to get the .sca file for personal details from the sever and create a new track in the NWDI->CMS

2.Import into nwds and edit the changes in the exisitng standard one and deploy it in the server.

Pls ffind the below blog and gives you the more information.

/people/vinoth.murugaiyan/blog/2007/08/24/essmss-customization-150-make-it-simple

Pls.let me know if you need more help on this.

Regards,

Lavanya.G

Edited by: Lavanya Goriga on Jun 8, 2010 4:38 PM

MaheshChandra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi vaishnavi,

Follow the link for [ESS Personal Information UI enhancement without modification|http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/profile/ESSPersonalInformationUIenhancementwithoutmodification]

some more links for the similar issues

[Wiki home page of all ESS modifications|http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/ERPHCM/CommonIssuesandHintsin+ESS]

and Webdynpro tutorail by SAP Mentors

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/softwaredownload?download=/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km....

Hope these links will be useful to solve the issue by own. Dont modify/delete the content given by SAP. just make a copy of that iview and change the id and use it. Changing of default iviews are not advisible

Thanks&Regards

Maheshchandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Lavanya,

We finally did the same.

Regards,

Vaishnavi