cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change the Domain Controller

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Currently we have DEV system as our domain controller with no backup domain controller, now we want to configure PRD as Domain controller & DEV as backup doamin controller.

I found that there are 2 ways of doing so:

1. Make PRD as BDC & activate it, then point TRANSDIR & DIR_TRANS to PRD trans directory

Issue: Domain name, group name & profile name will still be the same

2. Delete STMS configuration & reconfigure from start (PRD as DC & DEV as BDC). Set transport directory path in instance profiles

So we decide to go with approach 2 (delete & reconfigure everything).

Need your feedback on both the approaches.

Is there any way to take backup of all STMS configuration (or atleast Routes) & restore it.

Regards,

Rajneesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

tomas_black
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Rajneesh,

you're correct, these are the 2 options to change the TMS domain controller.

FYI, here's the main documentation you should look for:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/36/22cdf2e00311d184800000e8a57770/frameset.htm

For your 1st approach (switching to the backup Domain Controller), you have the advantage of keeping everything (configuration, names, transport groups, etc etc). This method benefits the most landscapes with a large number of systems. Moreover, it's highly recommended to have a Backup Domain Controller, in case of failure of the main DC.

For your 2nd approach, you have the advantage of set up your system from scratch, so you can change names, hostnames, transport groups, etc

On the following links you'll find more information on this:

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/35/2597d1fee611d184870000e8a57770/frameset.htm

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/44/b4a10f7acc11d1899e0000e829fbbd/frameset.htm

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/7b/580a2c793811d2b41f006094b9ea64/frameset.htm

Here's a step-by-step example for case #1 (using names DEV, QAS and PRD as examples):

- Define the QAS system as a backup domain controller; to do this, log on to the domain controller system (DEV) and enter

transaction STMS. Choose System #¨Overview. Double click on the line for the QAS system (i.e. a real system) and switch to the change mode.

Enter the Communication tab strip. In the Backup field, enter the SID for the QAS system and choose Save #Yes. Go back to the System Overview screen and point out that the QAS system now plays the role of the backup domain controller.

Log on to the QAS system and enter the System Overview screen in transaction STMS. Choose Extras #Activate Backup Controller to move the domain controller to the QAS system.

I hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Tomas Black

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I need your inputs on below points:

1. Which approach is better

2. Is there any way to change domain name, group & profile name in the approach 1

3. For approach 2, is there any way to take backup of STMS configuration (atleast routes) & restore after changing the domain to PRD.

Regards,

Rajneesh

tomas_black
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Rajneesh,

1) if it was me, I would go for the sencond option, to restart everthing up from scratch. This way you can set your system in details as desire and won't need to worry with leftovers from the previous setup. Moreover, it's not a complicated task - at worst, it's just a prolonged work to do. But it's up to you, you know your landscape, of course;

2) no, you can't change these values by just switching the DC over from the BDC. Remember, the BDC will have the same transport_groups as of the DC (as well as the other configs, otherwise it won't work :-). If you want to change these parameters, you would have to delete the TMS config - and fall on the approach 1;

3) not that I'm aware of. There's no way to take a backup from these settings, there's not such option in STMS as far as I know, sorry.

Best regards,

Tomas Black

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We have successfully done the migration of Domain controller fron DEV (Standalone) to PRD (High availabiltiy). Few points to

remember:

1. No need to delete & create routes before / after the activity. It maintains the version.

2. need to run report TMS_MGR_LOADBALANCING after configure PRD as DC to make it high available.

Regards,

Rajneesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks