cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to upload data to using SMD Agent?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I want to know what is SMD Agent and how it can be used to upload the data to solution manager diagnostic. in SMD --> Agent Administration I tried to locate a way through which I can upload the data to SMD but I could not figure out a way. If anyone has worked on this, please help me with this.

Thanks in advance,

Ameya

Edited by: Ameya Pimpalgaonkar on Jun 4, 2010 5:12 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Hello Experts,

>

> I want to know what is SMD Agent and how it can be used to upload the data to solution manager diagnostic. in SMD --> Agent Administration I tried to locate a way through which I can upload the data to SMD but I could not figure out a way. If anyone has worked on this, please help me with this.

>

> Thanks in advance,

>

> Ameya

>

> Edited by: Ameya Pimpalgaonkar on Jun 4, 2010 5:12 PM

Dear Ameya

A SMD agent is a agent which is installed on the Managed system to provide data to Solution Manager Diagnostcs.

It is as similar to an CCM agent, but with added features that help diagnostics to gather data.

The best way to find more information on SMD agents would be to visit the URL : http://service.sap.com/diagnostics

There you would find the installation guides as well as a lot of useful information on how to use diagnostics.

Hope that the above explaination helps.

Regards

Amit

former_member188632
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Amit,

Thanks for the info. I have a flat file containing data about portal usage statistics. I want to upload that using SMD agent. I don't know how to do that. Can you throw some light on this?

Thanks

Ameya

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Hello Amit,

>

> Thanks for the info. I have a flat file containing data about portal usage statistics. I want to upload that using SMD agent. I don't know how to do that. Can you throw some light on this?

>

> Thanks

>

> Ameya

Hello Ameya

No you cannot use SMD agent to upload Flat files to Diagnotics. The Agents are used to collect Live data and collate it in the BI section of Solution Manager for Diagnostics use. They are not designed to upload files to Diagnostics.

Regards

Amit

former_member188632
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Amit,

This blog says I can load the trace files to Workload analysis using SMD Agent.

/people/tony.dethomasis2/blog/2009/12/17/portal-activity-data-collector-using-solution-manager

I am confused now if I should keep this approach or not?

Ameya

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Amit,

>

> This blog says I can load the trace files to Workload analysis using SMD Agent.

>

> /people/tony.dethomasis2/blog/2009/12/17/portal-activity-data-collector-using-solution-manager

>

> I am confused now if I should keep this approach or not?

>

> Ameya

Hi Ameya

Can you please point me to the place where the blog says that you can use a SMD Agent to do it ? The Blog talks about Solution Manager Diagnostics / E22 Workcenter / Portal but I did not find a reference to a SMD agent to upload the data. Maybe I am looking at the wrong place.

Regards

Amit

former_member188632
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Amit,

If you look into subpoint "Activity Data Collector (ADC)"

It is written that:

The ADC monitors portal requests and maintains details for each request, such as users logged on, processing time, and requested iViews and pages. The ADC trace files can be aggregated and loaded into the Solution Manager Workload Analysis by using the SMD agent. Once loaded into Solution Manager, BI queries and web templates are used to display the analysed data.

Ameya

Edited by: Ameya Pimpalgaonkar on Jun 4, 2010 6:05 PM

Paul_Babier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Dear Ameya,

That blog is not talking about loading files into SMD Agent.

They are talking about loading files into Solution Manager Diagnostics.

Agents run on the managed systems. SMD runs on Solution Manager.

The RCA ( Root Cause Analysis) > E2E Analysis >Workload Analysis and

RCA > Extractor FWK Administration links are on Solution Manager.

I hope this information helps you put the information in the right context.

Regards,

Paul

former_member188632
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I may be asking very silly question but as it is not my domain I still need some more inputs on this. Ok, how can i upload the trace file on Solution Manager Diagnostics? Any clue on this?

Thank you all for quick help. Can't express how much it has helped guys.

Ameya

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> I may be asking very silly question but as it is not my domain I still need some more inputs on this. Ok, how can i upload the trace file on Solution Manager Diagnostics? Any clue on this?

>

> Thank you all for quick help. Can't express how much it has helped guys.

>

> Ameya

Hi Ameya

I would propose go ahead and watch the demo's on http://service.sap.com/diagnostics

Further you have good knowledge kits on http://service.sap.com/rkt-solman

This will give you a good orientation of what can be acheived and how in Diagnostics. Then you should be able to navigate easily among all functions.

Regards

Amit

former_member188632
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the inputs Amit, the kidn of info i am looking is perhaps very niche. I have already mailed to the blogger asking how to do it but it would be great if anyone knows how to load the traces in SMD

Thanks

Ameya

Paul_Babier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Ameya,

You Start Solution Manager WorkCenter - Solman_workcenter

You navigate to the RCA tab ( Root Cause Analysis)

You then select E2E Analysis

From here you select Trace Analysis

If you click the box to the right hand side to expand Manual Upload, there are two options presented to upload the .xml file

1) Upload Business Transaction.xml

2) Upload E2ETrace.xml

You can browse for the file you want to upload, then once you have located it, click Upload.

This will load the Trace Analysis file, and the analysis can then be performed.

I hope this was the answer you were looking for?

Regards,

Paul

former_member188632
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Paul for the info. Does that upload option only available for .XML files? Can i upload .txt files also?

Thanks,

Ameya

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

raguraman_c
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

SMD Agent is installed on the systems that you want to monitor (Managed system eg: ECC). SMD Agents sends data (Workload, exceptions,Change etc) to Solution Manager (Managing System).

Assuming you are on Solution Manager EhP1

Install Enterprise Manager on Managing system.

Once you have installed your SMD Agent

Run SOLMAN_SETUP transaction in your solution manager system.

Run Initial and Basic configuration. Follow the steps mentioned in that.

This should help you setup SMD.

Feel free to revert back.

-=-Ragu

former_member188632
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ragu,

What exactly I want is, I dont want to install any thing. SMD is set up and running fine. I am working on Portal Activity Data Collector which generates some flat files. Which then can be loaded to SMD Workload analysis using SMD Agent according to the blog that I mentioned in the above post. I am looking for how to do that?

Thanks for valuable info.

Ameya

Paul_Babier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Dear Ameya,

Please visit http://service.sap.com/diagnostics

On that page is a link to Media Library.

In there are many guides and documents that you can use to install and configure SMD.

Hope you find this information helpful

Regards,

Paul