cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC adapter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guru's,

I have not worked alot with the RFC adapter and have some questions/doubts, hope some one can clarify this.

I have the following scenario where I have an SRM system and ECC system. Within SRM there are alot of RFC calls done to the ECC system and now I want to put the SRM system and ECC system in different landscapes (not within the same network).

With the RFC adapter this can be achieved, but now I have the following questions:

1. can this scenario be achieved by using one PI system or do I need to have 2, one in the landscape of SRM and one in the langscape of ECC?

2. How does it work internally, from the SRM system an RFC call is done to PI, PI converts the RFC call to XML, and that XML is send to the ECC system?

3. What is the use of the program Id in the RFC adapter?

Hope someone can help me out on this.

Best regards,

Guido Koopmann

Edited by: G. Koopmann on Jun 3, 2010 4:24 PM

Edited by: G. Koopmann on Jun 3, 2010 4:25 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you mean say the system name will be different for SRM and ECC right rather that on different networks...

1.if it is different networks then you have to go with webservices...and requires some ports to be opened from both ends...

if it is in same network then one PI environment will suffice...

2. Yes your understanding is correct regarding the conversion formats....

3. ProgId is one through which the receiver/target for the RFC is identified with the help of gateways..

i.e the progid will be registered in the gateway and the gateway searches for the system with the same progId which has registered...then based on that the data will be passed to the target system..

Hope this clears your queries...

HTH

Rajesh

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. can this scenario be achieved by using one PI system or do I need to have 2, one in the landscape of SRM and one in the langscape of ECC?

Yes, this can be achieved by one PI system. But I am a little confused with your query. Please clarify.

2. How does it work internally, from the SRM system an RFC call is done to PI, PI converts the RFC call to XML, and that XML is send to the ECC system?

Yes, the flow will be - SRM (RFC) -> PI -> ECC (RFC)

If you want, you can use ABAP proxy inbound to ECC.

3. What is the use of the program Id in the RFC adapter?

SAP Help says -

Program ID of the registered server program.
The selected program ID must uniquely describe the RFC sender channel in the 
configured gateway (Application Server (Gateway) and Application Server Service (Gateway) parameters). 

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_tm60/helpdata/en/67/6d0540ba5ee569e10000000a155106/content.htm

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Neetesh