cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd System Copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I am performing a homogeneous system copy on linux w/ MaxDB. The source system is really more like source systems. Using one database instance (XDB), I have an ERP 6.0 EHP4 system (XS1) and an EP instance (JS1). My first step was to export the database using the Database Manager; then I made the export available to the target system. The system copy for the abap application server went without a problem. Now I am having trouble with the J2EE system copy.

My assumption was that the single MaxDB export contained both the ABAP schema (SAPXS1) and the J2EE schema (SAPJS1DB). Also, I assumed since XS1 and JS1 are two separate instances sharing a single database instance, then I would also need to complete two system copies. Were any of those two assumptions false?

My hope was to skip the recovery w/ initialization step during the J2EE system copy since the DB containing the J2EE backup should already be loaded in the target database host. The error I'm encountering on the J2EE system copy is "You can not use existing instance while installing with backup/recovery method." Sadly, that error message is very straight forward and doesn't leave much hope to complete both system copies using this method.

A system copy for both ABAP and J2EE stacks ins't the correct path, is it?

Any help is appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Zach Shay

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The easiest way is

- running sapinst

- choose system copy

- choose "database specific method"

this will enable you to use a backup to restore and it will automatically zip up your Java stuff for the import on the target system (select there also database specific method).

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

Thank you for the reply. I believe that is the method I used for the ABAP stack. This method generally outlined:

1.) create a backup of the database w/ Database Manager
2.) sapinst on target machine
3.) restore w/ initialization on target machine
4.) continue with sapinst on target machine

I have completed a sapinst export on the source machine for the Java application server. This particular run of sapinst used SDM to package the applications loaded in the Java application server. Have both the application export and the database export available to the target system.

I have seen two methods available for the J2EE system copy. They are:

1.) Standard System Copy / Migration (load-based)
2.) Homogeneous System Copy (MaxDB-specific Backup/Restore)

I've already attempted 2.); however, installation informed me that it was not possible to use an existing DB Instance. It is a requirement to install this Java stack into the existing DB Instance because the migrated ABAP stack is installed there.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Zach

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I've already attempted 2.); however, installation informed me that it was not possible to use an existing DB Instance. It is a requirement to install this Java stack into the existing DB Instance because the migrated ABAP stack is installed there.

The target system must be "clean" (so mothing installed) and you have to select "ABAP + Java" during the installation on the target system. If you try to recover them singularily (one-by-one) this will not work.

Also make sure you use the latest available DVDs, don't use old ones.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

Even if the source system is a MCOD installation, one should use the ABAP + Java system copy? I was under the impression that the ABAP + Java was reserved for Dual Stack installations (one SID).

\[looks at sapinst more closely....\]

Ahh -- I think I understand. The actual sapinst option is "Based on AS ABAP and AS Java." Is this fundamentally different from the previous versions in that it is recognizing there are two separate application servers instead of 1 application server with 2 stacks?

Regards,

Zach

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm sorry, I did not attentively read your original post, I wasn't aware that you have in fact two separate instances.

I think the only way to do that is to do the ABAP systemcopy as usual (with a restore from the database), then deleting the Java schema and installing it back using the Java systemcopy.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

Update #1:

It appears that sapinst will allow me to do a system copy of the J2EE stack via the first method.

Standard System Copy / Migration (load-based)

What is a bit queer on the whole situation is the wording that sapinst is presenting me. sapinst asks me for a "Migration Export." I supply the directory with the label, "JAVA." Then sapinst asks me if I would like to use the existing database or create a new one. It allows me to select use existing database (which is a step past what is allowed via Homogenous System Copy)! However, sapinst then asks me for another Migration Export.... Unfortunately this Migration Export has the label "SAP:MIGJDMP:701:::*", and is a label not present in any of my export directories (or subdirectories).

The labels I have from the ABAP and Java exports are:

SAP:JMIG:701:*:*:*
SAP:MIGSDM:701:MIGRATION:*:*
SAP:MIGAPPS:701:MIGRATION:*:*
SAP:MIG:*:EXPORT(1/:*:*

Is this MIGJDMP Migration Export related to a database export via R3Load or something similar? If so, how do I get this?

\[reading more documentation...\]

Thank you,

Zach

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

Update #2

I have found the way to create the required dump. In order for sapinst to generate the Java Dump, one must not select:

target system and source system will remain operational in parallel sap

I am now creating the Java Dump and will then continue with the target systems import of said dump. You mentioned something about removing the Java's Schema. Should I go ahead and delete schema "SAPJS1DB" from the target's database?

Thank you,

Zach

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

Update #3

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Once I figured out the right method, system copy worked like a charm. Here is the general outline for what I had to do:

1.) Export database via DB Manager
2.) Use sapInst to install ABAP instance via Target System Copy
**Used database specific method. (had to import via DB Manager and resume sapInst)
3.) Use sapInst to export J2EE instance via Source System Copy
**Didn't use the parallel option so that I could have the entire J2EE DB exported
4.) Deleted the J2EE user (SAP<SID>DB) in DB Manager using the superdba account.
5.) Use sapInst to install J2EE instance via Target System Copy
**Used existing database instance
**Did not use Database Specific method because Database Specific method will not allow
you to use existing database instance.

There are a quite a few post-installation steps that were important. Removing the old database instance in DBCO is important if you ever want to shutdown the source system. Also, creating the new logical systems and updating URLs in the portal & rfc config wasn't automagic.

Thank you for the help...points awarded.

-Zach

Former Member
0 Kudos

In order for sapinst to generate the Java Dump, one must not select: "target system and source system will remain operational in parallel sap"

I do not have that option - maybe I do misunderstand something?

Would really appreciate any help!

Former Member
0 Kudos

David,

I'm not familiar with every version SAP Install; so the wording might be a little different depending on your particular release. To best summarize what I meant by:

In order for sapinst to generate the Java Dump, one must not select: "target system and source
system will remain operational in parallel sap"

During the system copy export, there is an option to create a backup or indicate some type of data link will be used to live migrate the database. The wording was vague to me, so I included my undesirable selection. If you select that particular option you will get an export of the system data minus the datacase data from that run of SAP Install.

Hope this helps. Since this issue is resolved for me, I will be closing this thread. Please don't hesitate to open a new thread, and shoot me an email if you need further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Zach Shay

Former Member
0 Kudos

I found this in the MCOD FAQ:

16. Are system copies supported? 
System copies are currently supported by an export and a subsequent import of
the system data using R3load.

I will now try to perform the J2EE system copy via R3Load instead of the MaxDB homogeneous system-copy. Will report any successes or failures back to this thread.

Cheers,

Zach