cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile support for WebDynPro ABAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Does WedynPro ABAP now support Mobile devices? If no is there any SAP policy to support mobile in WebDynPro-ABAP in the near future?

Preeti

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

No. No.

The mobile rendering of Web Dynpro is only supported in Web Dynpro Java. There are no plans to port that current framework to Web Dynpro ABAP.

If you want to create mobile rendering directly in ABAP the current options are BSP or ITSMobile.

I think with recent anouncements at SAPPHIRE you can expect to see new offerings in the mobile space in the future - but they aren't going to be Web Dynpro based.

In NetWeaver 7.02, Web Dynpro ABAP supports Safari. Technicaly the offical support only covers Safari on the Mac. However because Safari is based upon Webkit, this means in general that the rendering output is far more compatible with any webkit based browser. No support and not all UI elements will obviously work (and not form factor adjustment), but the WDA render as of 7.02 does run in general on devices like the iPhone and iPad.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

can you give us any information about the technology(silverlight?) which will be used for mobile access to AS ABAP?

Many thanks for any answer.

Regards Jiri

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I'm not sure what you are asking for. As already stated there is no mobile support in WDA. If you want to use AS ABAP development tools for mobile you can use the ITSMobile or build your own mobile pages using BSP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think with recent anouncements at SAPPHIRE you can expect to see new offerings in the mobile space in the future - but they aren't going to be Web Dynpro based.

Hi, I'm asking for new offerings in the mobile space, what technology will be used?

Many thanks for reply

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I would suggest that you watch the recording of Vishal's keynote from SAPPHIRENOW. There was the announcement of Project Gateway and discussion of SAP's intent to purchase Sybase. Project Gateway will be detailed more at TechEd but will be very important for bridging Business Suite data into mobile UIs. SAP is legally fairly limited about what we can say about Sybase right now, but if we want to buy the company you can imagine we plan to put their mobile technology to goo use in the future.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Unless is not technologically feasible, why wouldn't SAP develop mobile rendering engine for WDA?

What about companies that have heavilly develop in WDA and want to go mobile now?

Does SAP expect them to redesign all their WDA object using with their new sybase mobile solution or bsp?

scary...

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Juan: Old post, but I asked myself the same question.  There's a free app that does exactly this, I'm a bit surprised not more people have used it?  Works on ios/android and download it from aragonmobile.com (links to stores are there)

Former Member
0 Kudos

maybe, it's because it requires iOS5 and a connection through a firewall? #compatibility and #networksecurity

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sounds like you tried this thing out then?

Why would iOS5 be such a bad thing? iOS6 is already about to come out and only 3g's are left in the dust with iOS4.  I almost feel bad for anyone still using a 3g : ( I remember waiting 10 seconds for safari to come up on that thing

I don't know the setup, so I can't be sure that a firewall is or isn't necessary.  But what project have I been on where firewalls haven't had to be set?  I'll be honest though, haven't given much thought to the network security aspect of the whole thing but there is a setting to maintain your own server in the client.  So I would imagine there's flexibility?