cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Dynpro JAVA installation and requirements

0 Kudos

Hello,

We intend to migrate to NW 04 with EP 6 SP 3 on AIX.

We would like to use JAVA Web Dynpro as development tool.

Can someone give me information about technical details and requirements or post an URL where I can find the information.

Do we need a central Web Dynpro ?

Is it a part of Netweaver Development Workplace ?

Any information about the requirements is welcome.

Thank you all.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

htammen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Marc,

first Web Dynpro is not a development tool. The tool you use to write Web Dynpro applications is the SAP Netweaver Developer Studio. With this tool you can write any type of Java programs like standalone apps, EJBs, servlets. Additionally you have the possibility to write Web Dynpro apps or portal iViews.

If you want to develop Web Dynpro apps you should install the Developer Workplace at each developer computer. The installation of Developer Workplace encloses options to install a Web AS AND the Netweaver Developer Studio. Install both, so each developer can program and test in her own sandbox.

Beside development environments you should think about installing central instances for consolidation, QA and production.

Hope this helps a bit.

Helmut

0 Kudos

Thank you very much for this information.

We already knew the nature of webdynpro.

But Why do we have to install WEBAS on the developers computers? Can't we avoid to do it using the/a centralized instance (dedicated workplace server).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marc

What if we a developer needs to test a part of code and he deploys a development component and there is another developer testing another aspect of the same component. The second developer while testing will see a glitch in his browser and also might see his part of the code overwritten.

Development component can contain more than one component.

Regards

Pran

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's right, but if they develop parts of the same component on their individual computers, it can be risky to ? I'ts just a matter of rules ....

htammen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rui,

why is this risky?

In case of using one server for both developers nobody can realy test because she does not know if she was the last deployer or the collegue.

You can use a central server if you are sure that developers don´t do changes to the same DC.

Regards

Helmut

Former Member
0 Kudos

Moreover an environment with a developer having his own developer workplace gives more freedom and eventually brings in more hacks. The developer is free to change settings on his personal WAS do a quick restart and also crash the server.

You wouldnt want people experimenting on the central server crash it and then wait for SAP to link in and check for the problem. If you have the DTR too on this 'downed' system then that would hamper development.

Regards

Pran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Helmut,

If 2 developers develop or modify the same component localy, how can they deploy the same modified component on a central place ... mixing the code ? Concerning the testing phase, I agree with you, the best is to have a local engine for testing, but we maybe need a lot of hardware ressources to be able to use it, isn't it ?

I agree with you about the fact to be sure they don't change the same DC, We will work only with 3 developers... a tool controling the development (like CVS?) would be great, does it exist in NW Developer studio ?

Many thanks for your support

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's right, when I talked about central instance, it was a dedicated development test environment.

I was thinking the "NW development workplace" was the central instance and every developer had only the netweaver studio on his own computer linking to this central J2EE instance, If I well understood I am wrong (I will install it the next days).

Thank you for your comments

Rui Felipe

0 Kudos

Thanks a lot all for these informations. But I must say that I am more confused than before posting my question.

So, let's summarize :

We need at least 1 Central Workplace with J2EE, one as DEV Central System. This is a Windows Server, J2EE, Database SQL, WEBAS; 512Mb RAM at least and 1 GHz CPU. Developer Studio is then installed on these systems.

All developers must have a Developper Workplace installed on their system. With J2EE, SQL Database, WEBAS; 512 Mb RAM and 800 Mhz CPU. Developer Studio is installed on all system.

Is there something that should not be installed on a Developper system ?

All developper can test their own development on their own system (Sandbox) and then consolidate them in the DEV Server where they are also tested.

Then they are sent in the QAS Portal and then in Production Portal.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks a lot for all these informations.

Message was edited by: Marc Schaeler

Answers (0)