cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk Full

Former Member
0 Kudos

In of our servers it is BI7.0 on Sqlserver 2005 and windows 2003 the disk is almost full.Could anyone assist in cleaning up of the system so that we can start the system.As of now we cannot even start the system.Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Perform this steps:

Log on to the Server as Admin> double click drive> CTRL+F> on the left pane you'll see All files and folders> expand "What size is it"--> search for files "SPecify size 10000 KB and post the files which are cosuming the space.

I will expalin you what to do.

Thanks

Manny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pasted below.

BSMDATA1.mdf

BSMLOG3_Log.LDF

BSMLOG3_Log.LDF

BSMDATA3.ndf

BSMLOG1.ldf

tempdb.mdf

templog.ldf

master.mdf

msdbdata.mdf

ERRORLOG.6

Are the files which are large.Of them Data1 Data2 Data3 are the largest as expected.Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you have installed SAP in the DB files directory?

Try to increase the space if possible else take a backup of transaction log and delete the T-log file at OS level ,startup the DB and SAP.

DB will recreate T-log file at OS level.

-Manny.

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP is installed on a separate drive which is not full.But the drive which contains the DB is nearly full because of which we cannot start SAP.How do we go about from here.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi dudes!

First at all, please NEVER EVER delete any database file on the OS level!! You won't be able to do so, unless the SQL Server is stopped in which case you will DESTROY your database!!

Instead of that, just backing up your transaction log (TLOG) should be enough to considerably reduce the data in your TLOG, and then you will be able to shrink it. You can check notes *625546* +(Size of transaction log file is too big)+ and *421644* +(SQL error 9002: The transaction log is full)+.

Regarding your original question, and assuming that after backing up and shrinking the TLOG is not enough to run your system smoothly, you could consider shrinking also your datafiles. However this is usually not interesting and could hinder your performance (regarding this particular, please refer to [this post|, and even it would just be a workaround, as sooner or later you will exhaust your drive space.

The real solution is to add more disks to your file system and then add more data files to your database or move some of the existing ones. In this sense, please refer to *note 363018* +(File management with SQL Server)+.

And also a very important task is to reduce your tables by deleting useless information. In this sense I can only recommend you a very nice note for Basis tables, i.e. *note 706478* +(Preventing Basis tables from increasing considerably)+.; regarding application tables, I cannot tell you any suggestions, but maybe you can search for other SDN threads if you find any huge tables that should not be so extense.

At last, please remind to check always the +Microsoft SQL Server 2005 *Books Online (BOL)*+.

Cheers!!

-Jesú

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is a very basic question.

you should refer to SAP training. Go for SAP course ADM100...

or search SAP notes:

SAP note 16513 File system is full - what do I do?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Disk in which the database files reside is full not the SAP ones.I had asked since we are not in a postion to add space so we cannot start the system since we dont have enough space.What do we do now.Could anyone please help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. Are you using RAID for your server ?

(I think, you must be !...)

2. Is it Hard RAID or SOFT RAID ?

You can extend disk space by adding another Hard Disk in existing RAID array on which oracle database filesystem is reside.

For this you can consult with your System Administrator.or Hardware Vendor in case of Hardware RAID...

I don't think there is any other way ...

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

have a look at Note 363018, section D. That might help.

Sven

Former Member
0 Kudos

My Database is sql server.We dont have any RAID concept over here since it is a test system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Then you have 2 options.

1. If your have multiple physical drives and database is installed on separate drive, you can take NTbackup of that drive. Add higher capacity drive to server and restore the database backup (NTbackup) on new drive. Once done change drive letter of the newly added drive as original.

2. You can add another disk in server and define RAID5 on your server. It will increase the total available space.

If you search google "how to create RAID5 in windows" you will get several link explaining step-by-step process...

I don't think there is any other way to overcome this problem, except taking complete backup (Data and System state) and restoring it on new higher capacity drive.

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> In of our servers it is BI7.0 on Sqlserver 2005 and windows 2003 the disk is almost full.Could anyone assist in cleaning up of the system so that we can start the system.As of now we cannot even start the system.Thanks.

Which disk is full?

Markus