cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL SERVER 2005 express edition NOT connecting from MII

0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to connect to SQL SERVER 2005 Express Edition from MII with SQL SERVER 2005 driver, but unable to connect to the database.

Is there any other driver for Express edition?

If yes, then how can I have that? Is it free downloadable or what?

Help will be highly appreciable.

--Prahlad

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Recently I hooked up SQL Server 2005 express to MII. There was an issue when I used 'Windows' authentication but worked fine when I changed the login to 'SQL' authentication.

Here is the server URL for your reference -

jdbc:sqlserver://<MIIServer>\sqlexpress;databaseName=SAP_BM

Hope you have installed the required drivers properly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What error you are getting while testing the connection ? Check the system logs !

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=a737000d-68d0-4531-b65d-da0f...

No indications for anything specific related to the express version. In past MSDE type SQL Server releases it is the same database engine, just no enterprise manager or dev studio client tools.

Search the SAP Notes for dynamic ports - perhaps that is your issue (the database engine is not listening on the typical 1433 port).

lawrence_prinsloo
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Prahlad,

Each time I install SQL Server Express I have the same problems. Firstly, you can use the standard MS SQL JDBC Driver (I think Jeremy has given the link).

JDBC Driver:

com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver

Server URL:

jdbc:sqlserver://localhost:1433;databaseName=<DBName>

You can also download the Microsoft SQL Server Studio Express client tool and test the connection to the database through this.

It seems not all the protocols and services for MS SQL Express are enabled by default. You need to go into the SQL Server Configuration Manager and enable the SQL Server Browser Service. In the same Management Consol, select the protocols and make sure they're enabled and on the same ports MII is using.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos

Thnaks Jeremy! and guys

There was some problem with the port. I have changed the connection string in such a way where it takes database instance and no port, then it is connecting properly. The instances itself managing the port itself.

jdbc:sqlserver://<<ip>>;instanceName=<<instanceName>>;databaseName=<<databaseName>>;

Thanks guys once again,

Regards,

Prahlad