cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Main steps to enable EWA generated in SOLMAN (& other functions)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Solman Experts

I am surveying on how to upgrade the current SOLMAN system to enable the provision of various services (System monitoring/ EWA/ Service Desk) to the current system . However, the more I read the blurrer I become. Kindly give me a simple guide so that I can do this right.

1) The current SOLMAN ver. is 4.0 (~7.0) but the Support.Pack Stack is way below 16. By comparing all of the Compoenent's SP level with those defined on the SAP MarketPlace, I can't even decide whether it is Stack 8 or below as some of them exceed the defined level, some are below.

Ques (i): How exactly should I decide the current stack?

Ques (ii): Must I upgrade to the latest stack or stack16 can do? (coz over stack 16 it would be kernel upgrade - if I am not wrongly understood)

Qus (iii): Is there any consideration to do on this wide SP stack upgrade?

2) After I succeeded the SP Stack upgrade, any configuration to do or I can proceed with the following:

- SLD setup

- Solman SLD setup

- SMD setup

- EWA setup

- Service Desk setup

Your advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Ques (i): How exactly should I decide the current stack?

Its the version of your ST-400 compoent for Solman, You have to also take care of your other components too.

Ques (ii): Must I upgrade to the latest stack or stack16 can do? (coz over stack 16 it would be kernel upgrade - if I am not wrongly understood)

your current version is good for the scenarios you have mentioned. but on solution manger with EHPs we have got new tools introduced(Workcenters, EEM ) etc.Which can aid you. But yes, considerign EWA/Sys Mon/Service Desk-16/17 should be good and that case you need to settledown for limited functionalities.

Qus (iii): Is there any consideration to do on this wide SP stack upgrade?

Yes you have to do a full stack upgrade considering EHP upgrade. Please check the relevant upgrade guide.

2) After I succeeded the SP Stack upgrade, any configuration to do or I can proceed with the following:
- SLD setup
- Solman SLD setup
- SMD setup
- EWA setup

Please check the post installation guide. You still have guided Procedures by calling solman_setup after the successful setup. All the above scenarios will be addressed there.

For service desk: You have got service desk configuration guides and numerous SDN blogs/wikis which you can always use.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jagan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks for the suggestions.

First, I would, as suggested, consider upgrading the SP STack.

As I compared the ST-400 SP level, I found out that it suits the defined level of Stack 9.

However, for the following components, the current system has got lower level than what is defined :

-ST-ICO

-ST-SER

-ST-PI 2005_1_700

Also, the kernel SP is only 75 while what defined for stack 8 is 83.

Question:

1) Given the uneven component level, can I assume the current SP Stack is 9 and upgrade from it (selecting it as source stack)?

2) If I can't, what can I do to remedy the situation?

3) So, if I want to upgrade to the latest, I cannot select source=9, target=EHP1-23 (the latest) ? Instead, I have to first upgrade to Stack 17, (do I need to finish the configuration frist?), then upgrade to the latest from stack 17?

4) Any exact guidance or manual on this that I can refer to?

Thanks!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Hi

> Thanks for the suggestions.

>

> First, I would, as suggested, consider upgrading the SP STack.

> As I compared the ST-400 SP level, I found out that it suits the defined level of Stack 9.

> However, for the following components, the current system has got lower level than what is defined :

> -ST-ICO

> -ST-SER

> -ST-PI 2005_1_700

>

> Also, the kernel SP is only 75 while what defined for stack 8 is 83.

>

> Question:

> 1) Given the uneven component level, can I assume the current SP Stack is 9 and upgrade from it (selecting it as source stack)?

> 2) If I can't, what can I do to remedy the situation?

> 3) So, if I want to upgrade to the latest, I cannot select source=9, target=EHP1-23 (the latest) ? Instead, I have to first upgrade to Stack 17, (do I need to finish the configuration frist?), then upgrade to the latest from stack 17?

> 4) Any exact guidance or manual on this that I can refer to?

>

>

> Thanks!!!

Hi

Always determine the SP Stack level of a Solution Manager system by looking at the ST Component and it's package level.

Solution Manager stack dont gurantee that the ABA and BASIS Patches will match the SP stack number. So dont confuse your self. Look at what level Is the ST component. That is your SP level.

Start from here ( assume that you are on SP 9 ) Upgrade the Solution Manager to SP17 first. Always use what is contained in the stack and donot add anything else apart from the stack contents.

From SP17 then you can proceed to go to EHP1 ( SP23 ) which will a additional step to reach EHP1 level.

Hope that this answers your query and clarifies your doubts.

Regards

Amit

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

> Ques (i): How exactly should I decide the current stack?

Go to SPAM and click on Package Level there is one column SP-Level. From there you can check about which SP Level your solman have.

> Ques (ii): Must I upgrade to the latest stack or stack16 can do? (coz over stack 16 it would be kernel upgrade - if I am not >wrongly understood)

I would suggest you to upgrade your solman to EHP1 level which is the latest one. Once you will upgrade till SP17 and after that when you will try to upgrade it to EHP1 then you need to upgrade your kernel to 701 release.

> Qus (iii): Is there any consideration to do on this wide SP stack upgrade?

>

You can check Solution Manager upgrade guide about what things you need to take in consideration while upgrade solman support stack.

Thanks

Sunny