cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evolution of SAP Netweaver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am new to this SAP Netweaver platform.I have come from Java background and currently engaged in SAP EP.To me SAP is an ERP system consisting huge number modules.SAP can be run in simple client server mode.Like I have a client installed in my system for a specific module which communicates to an SAP server.This can also be resolved by making the client browser compliant.Now I think earlier version of SAP worked like this.Now please enlighten me what SAP Netweaver provides.How has SAP Netweaver evolved from its predecessor ? When does a company opt for implementing SAP Netweaver?

Though this seems to be very basic question but still i am not able to get any document that can help beginners like me. Please also try to provide documents or urls that can resolve my question.

Saptarshi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>SAP is an ERP system.

Wrong ! SAP is a software company which sells many different application softwares. SAP ERP is one of them like CRM, SRM, PI, EP and so on.

Netweaver is a technology platform on which the application softwares run.

In fact there are 2 different Netweavers : The ABAP Netweaver Application Server and the J2EE Netweaver Application Server which are also called the ABAP stack and the Java stack.

Some application softwares need only one stack (ECC6 needs the abap stack, EP needs the Java stack), some needs both stacks like PI.

You can get an overview of the Netweaver architecture for both stacks here :

[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/48/c43a46ca64581de10000000a42189c/frameset.htm]

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks Olivier !

So it offers more than ERP solution.

That means all these applications (ERP,CRM, SRM, PI, EP) can be integrated on Netweaver platform.

Can we integrate any non SAP product on Netweaver platform?

Regards,

Saptarshi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Saptarshi,

What can be integrated on SAP Netweaver is probably only limited by one's imagination

Short answer, non-SAP products can also be integrated on Netweaver.

Regards, Trevor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>Short answer, non-SAP products can also be integrated on Netweaver.

It really depends what you call "be integrated".

Non SAP products don't run on Netweaver but can communicate or interact easily with Netweaver technology.

It is possible to developp specific application with both ABAP and Java stacks.

Regards,

Olivier

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

depends on the product. You can install and run any portlet-compliant application on NW AS Java, as long as the application isn't using something that NW isn't providing.

But that's true for other vendors too.

The non-SAP (SAP as in the company) product has to be made for NetWeaver, than it will "integrate".

br,

Tobias

Former Member
0 Kudos

>The non-SAP (SAP as in the company) product has to be made for NetWeaver, than it will "integrate".

Of course, that is exactly what I call specific developement !

Olivier

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

to be a little bit more specific: it really depends on the definition of the term "integration".

Using BPM, PI, SOA, WS, etc. it is also possible to integrate 3rd party software that isn't written for NetWeaver.

br,

Tobias