Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DMS Content server / Master guide

former_member219170
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

I try to search info on details for DMS Content server. I found only content server. Is there any differnce for DMS Content server.

I want to understand the sizing / planning / DB usage for DMS purpose.

Can I get any where DMS Master Guide for finding all above details.

We are using the SAP data base only for storing the documents. I will be selecting KPro for doc. types.

Does we need to create Content table. How to do that ?

I know very little in basis activities. If u can give the details I will discuss with ABAP & Basis persons to sort out.

Regards,

Sai Krishna

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

martin_bachmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

for DMS you also use the Content Server, there is no SAP PLM DMS specific version of the content server available.

You can find more info at http://service.sap.com/contentserver or http://service.sap.com/kpro.

Once the CS is installed, basically you only need to setup the relationship in TA CSADMIN (from here you can navigate to the other customizing transactions). Usually that is it.

Martin

former_member219170
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanx for the info.

We are using the SAP data base only for storing the documents. I will be selecting KPro for doc. types. In this case I don't require any content server.

I have gone thru the PDF of SAP Content Server for Windows Installation Guide and noted down the following info:

1. caluclation methodology and compression for each type of document (say doc / PDF etc). and noted

2. Increase in data over perticular period

3. on an average how many users accessing documents at a perticular time.

I have done the following settings Maintain Storage System in OAC0.

Content Rep. : DMS_C1

Document area- DMS Document management system

Storage type - 03 SAP system data base

Rep. Sub type - Normal

Version no : 0045

Contents table: DMS_CONT1_CD1

Physical Basic Path - E:\usr\sap\IDS\SYS\global\

Shall I know what is the use of Physical path. What should be given correctly. More over I am trying to create ne wone it is greyed out (display mode)

ThenI assigned Storage system to Storage Category in OACT in the following way :

Document Area : DMS

Content Rep. : DMS_C1

DMS_CONT1_CD1 Table already created. When I see the table

PH_CLASS ; SDOKPHCL (SDOK: Physical information object classe)

Is it all required from bais side or server side. All places I found info regd. HTTP Content Server only. For that reason I want to confirm.

Or else pls. let me know where can I get the required info.

Regards,

Sai Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Clarification: For kPro storage, you can choose to store between SAP DB or content server(aka HTTP content server). Typically, content server is opted for when operating in a distributed environment(users accessing from several locations)/index based search is needed/n:n mapping scenario exists.

Hence, propose you finalize the storage category bearing in mind the above points.

Regards,

Pradeepkumar Haragoldavar

former_member219170
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep,

Thanks for ur reply. Before I joined the project, landscape was finalised. Now we can't put one more server like content server. After discussing I was getting the space in the exisitng SAP DB. This is the only the option I have now. Space is there in SAP DB & also they told it can increased.

We do have the scenario, like external vendors will access the DMS documents. We are not going Cfolders. We will use VPN & portal thru some development.

Index based search means - searching thru TREX / classification / text on originals.

Can u explain what u mean u mean by N:N mapping scenarios.

Can u guide in this scenario how to proceed ? Is my customization correct or do I need to do anything ?

Regards,

Sai Krishna

martin_bachmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

by the way, since EhP 4 there is also the possibility available, to grant externals directly access to DMS via an additional server in the De-Militarized zone. This could save you own development and the requirement for a Portal?

[original link is broken]

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

..Index based search means - searching thru TREX / classification / text on originals... Yes, the user can perform full text search using keywords in the document/originals.

..Can u explain what u mean u mean by N:N mapping scenarios... What i meant was the option to add 'n' originals and 'n' additional files to the DIR.

Both the above scenarios are feasible only if you plan to use kPro as the storage area. Best practice always encourage use of a content server given significant number of documents are expected to be uploaded into the system. Hence, propose you weigh your storage options once again.

Regards,

former_member219170
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep,

Thanks for the info. I am bound to give this solution, presently I don't have any other option. We can't go for another server.

Can you let me know is something missed for considering SAP DB as storage.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

If your customer is fine with the constraints indicated above, then, given the scenario, SAP DB is the way to go.

Regards,

former_member219170
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep,

Can you tell us where can I get the advantages / disadavantages of SAP DB and Content server. I need to show them in detaillly for decsion / change decision.

Can u give me exact location where can I get ? It be written / issued by SAP . or may be any note ?

Regards,

Sai Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

The persistancy layer of PLM DMS is via Netweaver KPRO (http://service.sap.com/kpro). Hence,files can be either be saved directly inside the main SAP DB (recommendedonly in dev or demo environment), or via an external Content Server(in production environment,when document volume is high), from SAP or from 3rd party software suppliers. SAP has established a std interface, so that the 3rd parties can easily connect their file servers / storage systems.

Also SAP offers the Content Server as an own HTTP File Server, free of charge(downloadable from SAP Marketplace).

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We use KPro and external Content Server, our basis team created a content repository ZP that points to this new content server, and in the Document Area, they entered "ARCHLINK" instead of DMS. They told me that if we use DMS in Document area, the doc. will store in the SAP database as well as the external content server. We don't want to store the doc. in the SAP database that's why we got the content server.

So the problem is... by not having DMS in the decument area in the content repository configuration, when I create the DMS in CV01N, when I want to check in the original, the new reporitory ZP that they created for me to use (so we can save the doc. in the content server) do not show up as the option for me to choose.

Does anyone know if it's true that by using DMS in document area, the doc. will auto. store in SAP database as well as content server ?

What is the solution to this ? our basis team don't want us to store doc in Prodution SAP database and want to use the content server.

Thank you,

Sam

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sai,

Hope these threads will help answer some of your questions.

Regards,