Did you mean: 

problem when trying to edit an answer in thread

former_member182371
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

in this thread:

although the answer is formatted and the preview is displayed correctly,

the formatting is not displayed in the real answer.

Could someone have a look at this?

Best regards.

Edited by: Pablo Casamayor on May 28, 2010 10:48 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

David
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Pablo,

It likely exceeds the character limit.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have already complained about the posting limits (i.e. wiki formatting is lost if message exceeds 2,500 characters) and I've also mentioned the difference between preview and actual posting (see ). The latter is especially annoying, because even if you know about the limit, the preview won't necessarily show the right formatting for "borderline cases".

If you're interested in some further community suggestions on what could be changed, take a look at the complete thread. But be warned, it's quite lengthy...

I'm not quite sure why your answer lacks the formatting though. When I count the characters I get 2,407 (looking at HTML source) and I have only seen comments on loosing formatting when exceeding 2,500 characters. However, I know that for my "borderline postings" I sometimes check character count and even below 2,500 I seem to get into trouble.

Even though that sounds silly, I'm sometimes wondering if the 2,500 character limit refers to the final, expanded message (i.e. after translating the wiki formatting into proper html tags). But in the end I suspect only somebody with some application insight can explain this seemingly wacky behavior.

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In fact, it is 2407 + 71 "carriage return" characters. I wouldn't be surprised that each CR counts for 2 characters in fact. So, that could be 2407 + (71 * 2). Maybe there is a difference in the algorithm of carriage return between the preview and the posting...

former_member182371
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

thank you so much.

i´ve just splitted the answer into two answers.

Best regards.