cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyboard shortcuts in SAP GUI Java on Mac OS X

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm running SAP GUI for Java 7.20 rev 2 on Mac OS X 10.6.3.

Everything is working fine, except for some keyboard shortcuts.

I'm used to the Ctrl-F1 and Ctrl-F2 shortcuts when working on ABAP code, but these shortcuts do not work. It seems like OS X is overriding them or something. The Ctrl-F3 or Shift-F1 and others are working fine though.

I've tried disabling all keyboard shortcuts in the OS X system settings, but that didn't solve the problem.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

robert_straub
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

HI

on Mac OS X the CTRL-F1 is used to toggle full keyboard access

see System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Keyboard & Text Input

CTRL-F2 to F6 are used to move the focus to some places. With CTRL-F1 you can turn them on/off

So CTRL-F1 is used by the system and is hardcoded, at least I haven't found a way to change it. That's the reason why the SAPGUI forJava doesn't get this key stroke.

Regards

Robert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply Robert. I was afraid it'd be hardcoded.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

When you say "hardcoded", it is likely defined in a .plist (property list file), located in the /Library/Preferences/ . To varying degrees these files are pretty easy to work with, the only question is to what extent are you gonna have to mess with some crazy hex value, versus changing an integer. I happen to be having an issue with a tilde key on an osx86 box and just installed the java gui on it (10.6.4), so I will be delving into that file within the next week. I want full hotkeys if possible and will post up the modified plist in the event that I get it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply mriddoch, please leave another reply if you manage to figure it out

In the meantime I've switched to working with Parallels running a copy of Windows 7 and the windows SAP GUI.

Parallels allows me to use Mac keyboard shortcuts (such as cmd-c cmd-v etc.) inside the virtual Windows system (mapped to their corresponding windows keyboard shortcuts).

You can also map your own shortcuts, so currently I've mapped cmd-f1,-f2 and-f3 to respectively ctrl-f1, -f2 and -f3 (for the ABAP workbench), which makes things feel more natural on my Mac when writing ABAP code.

Here's a screenshot of the mapping: [http://web.me.com/rvanmil/Screenshots/parallels_keyboard_shortcuts.png]

Answers (0)