cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is a Golden Client needed?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I understand what a golden client IS and have read many forum posts about this topic, but I haven't found any good information explaing WHY you should have a golden client. Since ABAP is client-independent you are not really seperating these two in the golden client. If you need a view of how production is, can't you just go look in production? If anyone can explain, would be much appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The ABAP code is cross client but most of the configuration data is client dependent. One goal with a golden client is to keep a repository of client configuration information that is independent of configuration settings setup to meet development requirements. One other good reason to have a golden client is to keep a clean copy of config that can be used to compare against other systems (usually production).

Hope that helps.

J. Haynes

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK. That all makes sense. Thank you. I suppose you could compare your config in dev with what is in production to ensure nothing had been messed up in dev, but that would be quite tedious and you might miss things. Its better to keep a client that you know you can trust.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Niraj and Dibya.

Let me rephrase the question to make sure I understand completely and I will mark as answered.

What are the disadvantages or the issues you would encounter if you only had one development client (no golden)?

Thanks again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The disadvantages of not having a golden client is that you may lose your actual customizations in case someone overwrites it. And if you go by one-client principle for your development system, you are always at a risk of jeopardizing your original customizations.

- Regards, Dibya

0 Kudos

Normally, you make the changes, customization, modification is one development client and once you are sure these are working you move it to the golden client.

Former Member
0 Kudos

So, when making config changes do you do them in the golden client first and then transport them to other clients? Or do you try it out in another config client, make sure its working, and then move to golden client?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ideally you do your customizations in the golden client once you are sure of the configurations, as the name suggests it's "golden". So it is better to try out the customizations first in any other sand-box client or system. And, then do it on the golden client.

And yes you can move across these customizations from one client to another as well, using SCC1. The beauty of SCC1 is you can even move across transports without releasing them.

- Regards, Dibya

Former Member
0 Kudos

The SAP System not only consists of the ABAP Programs which are client independent. But, it also has customizing data (configuration settings) which can be client dependent or client independent.

After SAP is installed every customer customizes it to the needs of the organization by doing innumerable configuration changes which is known as customizations & which is client-independent. To prevent this data from being destroyed, overwritten, spoiled, etc a golden client is kept to preserve these configurations.

- Regards, Dibya