cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-standard sap theme not working when lightspeed enabled in Webdynpro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We are using a non standard Theme for our Webdynpro application. However, when we enable the lightspeed rendering (using application parameter- WDLIGHTSPEED or url parameter - sap-wd-lightspeed) the theme is not working.

Please share if anyone have any thoughts on this

Regards,

Deepa

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have the same issue on WDA with Lightspeed

Currenty using the "sap-ep-themeroot" parameter for css from the portal

How can this be solved?

Br

Lars

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Have you updated your custom theme recently? If you copied from an SAP theme and created the custom theme, this procedure has to be repeated after each Enhancement Package/Support Package applications. If SAP makes changes to the theme content or structure, these changes need to be copied into your customized version of the theme. In general Lightspeed shouldn't break your custom theme if it is up to date. Note: you should always be running with Lightspeed turned on.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas

thanks for your answer.

The WDA is on ABAP 7.0 EhP 1 and the theme comes from our BW portal that is on ABAP 7.0.

Could this be the reason ?

br

Lars

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Yes - absolutely! Your portal needs to be at the same or later release/enhancement package/support package as your backend ABAP system for the themes to work. Your WDA framework has a newer rendering engine since it is on 7.01 and needs a theme that matches that release level. See OSS note 1446099 for a documentation of this situation as well as some possible solutions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That was a useful one! My WDA version is 7.11.3.2.0 and Portal theme version is 7.11.3.2.1. That could be the reason why i am having problems with theme.

Thanks a lot for the answer!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

"If you copied from an SAP theme and created the custom theme, this procedure has to be repeated after each Enhancement Package/Support Package applications."

Does that mean , we have to create the theme all over again?

Regards

Deepa

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I'm not theme editor export - that would be a question for the portal forum; but your custom themes do need to be adjusted. If you are using the built-in portal theme editor I believe this process is rather simple. I think there is an option to update the theme. But as I said, I'm not much of a portal expert.

For the standalone theme editor the process is a bit more complicated. You need to re-import the theme project and then re-upload to the ABAP server to get the updated version of your custom theme.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Thomas

Does the new Theme (sap_tradeshow_plus) only works when we execute the WDA directly ?

because when the WDA application is called through a portal the WDA should certwain use the Portal Theme that has been setup on the user setting/displya rules etc.

But the Theme "sap_tradeshow_plus" only exist in the SE80 (abap env.) and not in the Portal 7.01 -

so how can we get the WDLIGHTSPEED feature(faster load of the WDA) if we use the WDA through a portal ?

Thanks and Best regards

Lars

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

First of all the use of the theme and lightspeed are two completely different things. Just becuase you aren't using SAP_TRADESHOW_PLUS, doesn't mean you aren't getting Lightspeed. So there is nothing to worry about from that aspect.

It is true that the Portal 7.01 doesn't contain SAP_TRADESHOW_PLUS. I've done some work on the Portal in CE 7.20 and in Portal 7.30 and they do have the SAP_TRADESHOW_PLUS theme. If you really want the SAP_TRADESHOW_PLUS theme on WDA in Portal 7.01, you would have to use the iView settings to force the use of the backend theme. Otherwise you would have to wait for a later version of the Portal that contains that theme.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas

Thanks for getting back so fast!

Just to make sure I'll get this right :

I would like to set the WDLIGHTSPEED = X on my WDA application

and

use a portal theme from 7.00 (a copy of the old sap_tradeshow)

---> Do I then get the better the performance ( lightspeed, with better rendering etc ?)

thanks

Lars

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Yes you will get Lightspeed engine on the server regardless of the theme. However you shouldn't use Portal 7.0 themes for Web Dynpro 7.01. That can and will lead to JavaScript errors becuase of the mistach in versions. You should use Portal 7.01 themes. That might mean updating customized themes. Otherwise you have to force the iView to use the backend themes.

BeGanz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hallo Lars,

yes, you are absolutely right to assume, that UR Lightspeed Rendering will boost your application performance.

Lightspeed Rendering:

The New rendering engine with support for inline CSS, JavaScript load on demand and other performance enhancements yield reduction of client side rendering time by 50% leading to overall end-to-end response time performance improvements up to 30% of a typical user interaction. See also [SAP Note 1107662 - Web Dynpro ABAP: Unified rendering light speed (7.01, 7.11)|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1107662]

Web Dynpro ABAP Delta Rendering:

You should additionaly consider to activate the Web Dynpro ABAP Delta Rendering first available in SAP NetWeaver 7.0 SP12 and enabled by default starting with SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EhP2/SAP Business Suite 7i2010, SAP ECC 6 EhP5. See also [SAP Online Help u2013 SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EhP1 - Web Dynpro ABAP - Web Dynpro ABAP: Development in Detail - Programming Notes for Web Dynpro ABAP Applications - User Interface - Delta Rendering|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/eb/cbd08ae1754c708947c0f5b0779649/frameset.htm]

Performance Check List:

Principally application developers implementing Web Dynpro ABAP applications should adhere to the following programming guidelines for performance-optimized programs. See [SAP Online Help u2013 SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EhP1 - Web Dynpro ABAP - Web Dynpro ABAP: Development in Detail - Programming Notes for Web Dynpro ABAP Applications u2013 Checklist for High-Performance WDA Programming|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/5e/b29046859d48d68af26c16c75d4a89/frameset.htm]

Regards, Bertram Ganz