Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification for IS_RETRY & RSXMB_RESTART_MESSAGES

peter_strauss
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

I know there are many threads dealing with this topic; however I can't find quite what I'm looking for so I'll ask my questions here.

1) Is IS_RETRY enabled simply by setting "IS_RETRY_LIMIT"?

2) Does "XI internal job" for IS_RETRY mean that I will not see the job in SM37?

3) Does IS_RETRY manage message retry count by incrementing field "RETRYCOUNT_MAN"? (i.e. does it work the same way as RSXMB_RESTART_MESSAGES?)

Kind regards,

Peter

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>1) Is IS_RETRY enabled simply by setting "IS_RETRY_LIMIT"?

yes

did you also check

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/11/29/xi-how-to-re-process-failed-xi-messages-automatically

?

it contains the description for retry and RSXMB_RESTART_MESSAGES

Regards,

Michal KRawczyk

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

peter_strauss
Participant
0 Kudos

I think I have found the answer to my problem. It had nothing to do with max manual restart count.

The problem I was having was that async messages were failing but were not being restarted by RSXMB_RESTART_MESSAGES.

In the test system I reproduced the problem running RSXMB_RESTART_MESSAGES from SE38.

I found that if I ran the report with the defaults (60 minutes) I got "No XML messages exist for this selection".

Then I ran the report so that errors from the past seven hours would be restarted. This time the messages were restarted successfully.

The problem seems to be the timezone of the user running RSXMB_RESTART_MESSAGES.

"Restart Msgs with Errs from the Last" is calculated using the system timezone.

However, when messages are searched the data from SXI_MONITOR is used to locate error. For this data the time is based on the user's default timezone.

In our system the system timezone is "JAPAN". The user running RSXMB_RESTART_MESSAGES has timezone "CET", which is seven hours behind Japan. So errors occurring in the Japan timezone aren't picked up by RSXMB_RESTART_MESSAGES.

To me this seems like an error in the logic of RSXMB_RESTART_MESSAGES. I will retest my assumptions and if I am correct I will forward to SAP support to see if the program can be repaired.

Peter

peter_strauss
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

I read the blog but I can't see the answers to my questions.

The thread is nearly exactly the same as

, which ends inconclusively.

My main interests are how to monitor for IS_RETRY and whether this job increments RETRYCOUNT_MAN.

Kind regards,

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The blog referred by Michal have answered some of your doubts. Extending to it RSXMB_RESTART_MESSAGES can be used for huge re-processing..The difference in IS_RETRY & RSXMB_RESTART_MESSAGES lies over the number of counts. IS_RETRY is automatic scheduling while RSXMB_RESTART_MESSAGES is standard function module that is executed in background.

Thanks

Swarup