cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adobe Form - Problem with Cyrillic texts on zebra printers (ZPL)

marc_zimmek
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

we have problems with an adobe form. We try to print this adobe form on a zebra printer with the device type "AZPL203". In this adobe form we have to print the material description in german and russian language.

When we print out the adobe form on a normal printer (e.g. HP) everything is fine. But when we print the form on a zebra printer, the russian textwill not be printed on the label. In the print preview of the form, we will see the correct russian text.

So can anybody help me?

Did anybody print cyrillic text on a zebra printer?

Thanks in advance.

Marc.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aidan and Marc,

thanks a lot. That works very good!

best regards

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good afternoon,

First.. I apologize because I know this is the wrong thread. But the folks in this thread apparently have the missing piece of info that I/we desperately need.. Could you please help me to understand what I'm missing, or at least point me to a forum with the answer?

We have a few tags that print to a Zebra Z105SL printer via Smartforms. But due to recent design changes in the tags, and a desire to stay up with current technology, we/I would like to design the new tags in Adobe PDF-forms. The design is not a problem, but we cannot get SAP and the Zebra printer to make nice and print anything. For now, I've created a simple tag with a text field and a couple of bar codes on it, just to test and prove that the Zebra will print a PDF. We are using PDF-forms for several of our business forms, so everything works, but the Zebra just won't print a PDF. I don't know what I'm missing.. I know it's possible, but I can't figure out the "how" part. Could you please let me know how you did it?

Many thanks!

Bill

aidan_black
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bill,

Do you use a device type like AZPL203 as per SAP note 685571?

Regards,

Aidan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Adian,

Thank you so much for your reply.

We have tried that late last week. Right now the device type is set to PFD1. A few minutes ago I asked for the type to be reset to AZPL203.

Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry... I meant it is currently set to PDF1.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good morning, Aidan,

If you are still checking this thread.. the zebra printer has been set back to Device Type: AZPL203.

Device Class is Standard Printer.

Host Spool Access Method is "U: Print Using Berkeley Protocol".

I've run the test program and nothing shows up at the printer when I select "Print" (vs. Print Preview). Actually, Print Preview doesn't show anything either. The dialog box just "goes away" after a few seconds. The program and form do work because I've gotten print previews to work using a different device type. And I have seen the printer's Data-light flicker in earlier attempts. But with the Device Type set to AZPL203, there are no signs of life on the data-light, and nothing shows up in my SP01 listing. I'm stumped. Do you see anything wrong in the settings I listed above?

Thank you for any and all of your help,

Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

I don't know what i could be missing, but i also have problem with printing russian and polish fonts. Only question marks are printed on Zebra. I have set Font Embedding to 1 in custom_xfa.xci, but it doesn't work.

Any other idea what could be wrong?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marc,

we have exactly the same problem and i couldn't find any solutions. Did you solve the problem anyhow?

thanks

Frank

aidan_black
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

For correct Russian character on ZPL, you need to update ADS to the following versions if not already at this level:

NW70 SP-20 Patch 1 or higher

NW70 SP-21 Patch 2 or higher

and Higher SP

If ADS is updated to above version, then do the following:

Copy xfa.xci to custom_xfa.xci under /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/global/AdobeDocumentServices/lib. (file name is case sensitive. Then copy to file name as lower case. And make sure <sid>adm user has read permission)

Then modify custom_xfa.xci.

<zpl> <! [0..n] >

<fontInfo>

<embed>0</embed> <! 0 1 >

</fontInfo>

Change <embed> tag value from 0 to 1.

Then try again to print Russian.

Regards,

Aidan

marc_zimmek
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Frank,

Aidan is right.

You have to update your ADS and modify the custom_xfa.xci file.

Then the ADS generate the label with the Cyrillic text into a picture.

In our example the file grows from 1KB to 33 KB.

But it works.

Regards

Marc