cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking feedback on Idea Place Service Market Place logon issue work-around

Kuhan_Milroy
Active Participant
0 Kudos

For Idea Place [http://ideas.sap.com], Service Market Place (SMP) users AKA S-Users cannot login. We are investigating a solution and have several options and would like to get your feedback on the proposals.

The first option, is full Service Market Place users support for certificate Single Sign On (SSO) logon and username password login. This could take several months of time. This was initially planned for V2 later this year.

The second option is to support SMP user login with certificate only. This just refers to SMP users. Non-SMP SCN users and SAP employees would still be able to enter their username and password to login.

For SMP users who do not have a SMP certificate, they can easily go into SMP and request one, add it to their browser and then SSO into SCN and Idea Place.

The first option is ideal but will take a lot of time. What are your thoughts and concerns on the second option? Is this an acceptable solution?

Thanks

Kuhan

Edited by: Kuhan Milroy on May 26, 2010 11:22 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am not good with names, is that the certificate I use everyday to login to SCN? The one stating my number and speeds up my login procedure (swearing when one does not remember his user/pass takes time:)))? If yes, I vote for that one of course. To help the other people to use it (I guess not every who can use the certificate really uses it) would be cool to provide a quickhelp, hyperlink to the site where a certificate can be requested etc. But yes, certificate is better than a new user.

BTW: Kuhan, REALLY GOOD job. Thank you!

Otto

Kuhan_Milroy
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, I believe they are the same. Just to be sure, if you can login to the SAP Support site (SMP) with the certificate then yes it is the same one.

Good point on the instructions, we can have instructions on how to add a certificate for SAP support site users.

Thanks

Kuhan

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Good point on the instructions, we can have instructions on how to add a certificate for SAP support site users.

Hope to be even more helpful when able to login to Idea place with this user:))) Have a nice day, Otto

p.s.: I remember somebody promised a blog about the Idea place and the future course/ features and stuff. Are you going to write one (or ...three:)) about it? Would be cool. For example the motivation talk would cool, because I am sure, not onle the SDN hype was behind the idea and would like to hear how will other departments benefit from the project and use the Place.

Kuhan_Milroy
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Mark touched a bit on his blog about some of the motivation - a good teaser and I or others on the team can expand on it later. Give us some time though, we are in the middle of launching. Or maybe add it as an idea and see how many votes it gets.

(thanks for the reminder)

Kuhan

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kuhan,

any chance you could add the idea for just the certificate login - and then vote on it twice - once for me and once for Otto?

Would love to do it myself - but have this small issue with logging in...

Cheers,

Chris

PS you might want to provide some feedback to my [blog|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/19703] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken]; where I ranted a bit about the issue. Especially if a certificate login is coming soon! I hope so!

Edited by: Chris Paine on Jun 17, 2010 8:52 AM - added ref to blog post

Kuhan_Milroy
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for the heads up Chris.

Even though there are some limitations with Idea Place, I really do not want to encourage employees to start submitting customer ideas. But with that said and given the current situation - this idea has come up before in internal discussions so the will add an vote.

Thanks

Kuhan

Added - https://ideas.sap.com/ideas/1077

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, I know it will sound stupid, but maybe it would be able to create a SSO manually for the certain set of people? I mean the "full-featured" SSO would work for everybody and all the time. But maybe, for the purpose of the beta test and for those few active people offering suggestions and call for improvements, would it be possible to create some hardwired/ manual SSO for those people (like me:))) or dozens of people at most? We would definitely love to take part but not going to duplicate our beloved user names.

If that is not possible, I can understand that, of course. I only wonder, if anybody tried such approach.

Regards Otto

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To make it short: would it be possible to let selected users access the idea place with their SCN account, not to have to create a new one only for this purpose, by creating some "shadow account" in IP and link those two together?

Like to hardcode the access for some people? To help the few to move their suggestions from the forum to the IP?

still seeking updates on what will happen next,

regards Otto

Kuhan_Milroy
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Otto,

We are progressing with a proposal which I hope to have more info on soon. Then I'll communicate an update. Given the solution may be viable in the foreseeable future, I'd rather forgo migration efforts for now.

Thanks

Kuhan

Kuhan_Milroy
Active Participant
0 Kudos

We now have a work-around in place for Service Marketplace users.

[]

thank you for the feedback

Kuhan

Answers (0)