cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Encrypt certain tables in SQL Sever 2005 of BW system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Helllo,

Our BW system (NW7.0/BI7.0 EHP1) is running on Windows 2003/SQL Server 2005. We are implementing a HR application inside BW which have some senstive data. We want to these data (we know the table name) be encrypted in our database so nobody can read it in SQL Server level or write some query to get the data even for someone have OS or database access authorization.

Is this something can be done? We search and found SQL Server have ability to encrypt databases, but how about certain tables? Could the encrption cause problem to SAP application? Many questions as you can imagine, any experience and comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Yujun Ran

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a similar project. We need to encrypt salary data in BW System.

Reading the note 1380493 I see that SAP supports the TDE, but a DBA with enougth rights can look data from the TDE. Therefore is not a solution, since the DBA cannot look the salaries of other people.

The note also says that SAP doesn't support the varbinary, that is the type that SQL Server uses to encrypt data.

Therefore, I don't see any solution to encrypt data in BW System.

Have anybody find another way to encrypt data in BW system?

thanks,

Kim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi dude!

I think you will be glad to read SAP note 1380493.

Cheers!!

-Jesú

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for the information and it's a very helpful answer. The note does provide a good general information regarding sql server database encrption.

Anyone has actual experience to implement some of these solutions can share will be greatly apreciated.

Yujun Ran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

you might want to look into this page

[http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlserverstorageengine/archive/2006/06/19/637529.aspx]

also check the blogs mentioned at the end of article.