cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smartform overflow in a table

Former Member
0 Kudos

What I've got here is a table filled with material data, including the long description.

That description has to be displayed in a column that has its width set to 8cm.

When the description exceeds that 8cm, we don't want it to continue on the next line. It's fine to just print as much as possible within the 8cm and then stop on the same line.

However I haven't been able to find a 'overflow' setting or anything like it. It makes no sense to shorten the description to x characters, since the font isn't monospaced... the length can differ per line.

Is this possible? They're called SMART forms, right?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

A smartform is really SMART if you can make it work as you want.

To achieve your requirement, do not use a table.

Instead use a template inside a loop.

Make the column width of the template as desired and the height of the line should be such that only one line can fit in it.

Create the text nodes in the template based on the number of columns you have.

In each text node, in the output options tab, assign the value for LINE as 1 and COLUMN as the actual column number.

Hope this meets your requirement.

(You cannot have some columns running into multiple lines and some columns terminated to fit into one line)

Regards,

Dawood

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the hints... although it pretty much means we'll have to remake the forms.

[quote]Or calculate the maximum number of characters that could be used to form no more than one line (W must be the widest character).[/quote]

Unfortunately that won't work since the font isn't monospaced... we're currently using this as a workaround, although it isn't ideal.

The template within a loop will probably be the only way to do this, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

erm, I think that the name smart form historically comes from SMARTer than sapscript FORM

I see no evidence that it could be done inside a table. Can't you put it outside the tabe: in a window or template?

Or calculate the maximum number of characters that could be used to form no more than one line (W must be the widest character).