cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Object - data integrator vs. SAP PI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

Could you please tell me when it would be OK to use the business objects data integrator for integration instead of SAP PI.

In my world a company should use only one component for integration, but with this new toll we need to set some guidelines for the users - otherwise they will use BODI as a integration broker as well!

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_grube
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You should ask SAP directly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Steffan - I cannot wait for SAP to come back, as I need to work out some guidelines today.

Could anyone share some thoughts about this?

Thanks

stefan_grube
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Could anyone share some thoughts about this?

My thoughts: It is not OK to use to use the business objects data integrator for integration instead of SAP PI.

But I am not working for SAP, so I cannot give you an official statement.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks -

I found this on another forum.

As a general rule of thumb, I'd say the following (seeing SAP BusinessObjects Data Services in an ETL context and SAP NetWeaver PI in an EAI context):

ETL --

Core Use Case: Data Replication and Data Synchronization in batch and real-time

Examples: Asynchronous bulk load of a data warehouse, Data Migration

Data Characteristics: Bulk Data

Transformation Characteristics: Lightweight to sophisticated transformations; embedded Data Quality Transforms (cleansing, matching)

Integration Process Characteristics: Single-step, stateless integration processes only

Point-to-point or point to multi-point connectivity with clearly identified sources and targets

Recommended Product: SAP Business Objects Data Services

EAI --

Core Use Case: Event-driven, message-based application integration in real-time

Example: Synchronous process automation across ERP & CRM system

Data Characteristics: Single messages with small payloads

Transformation Characteristics: Lightweight transformations only

Integration Process Characteristics: Multi-step stateful integration processes, requiring Workflow/ Business process management (BPM) engine to handle process status; bus architecture with publish& subscribe, and sophisticated routing rules

Recommended Product: SAP NetWeaver Process Integration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi:

Is the "Data Integrator" name changed to "Data Services"? I could not find any information on this. Please clarify.

Thanks.

stefan_grube
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Is the "Data Integrator" name changed to "Data Services"? I could not find any information on this. Please clarify.

http://www.sap.com/solutions/sapbusinessobjects/large/eim/dataintegrator/index.epx

You know google.com?

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Please refer my blog,it will give you some idea.

http://scn.sap.com/community/data-services/blog/2012/11/26/sap-pi-vs-sap-bods

Rgards,

Rahul More

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas

Though both the tools objectives are for Data integration, the purpose for both tools are different.

SAP BODS/ BOBJ Data Integrator is an ETL tool which involves combining data residing in different sources and providing users with a unified view of the data

SAP PI is a Middleware/EAI tool which have a mechanism/technology that connects different parts of an application or a series of applications

SAP BOBJ Data Integrator

Bulk Data Integration

Extraction Transformation and Loading

Deals of huge volume of data

SAP PI

It is process based integration of application data

It is a middle ware which integrates various project applications into a common programming package that can be operate/access as a single application

SAP NetWeaver PI is SAP’s implementation of Service-oriented Architecture (SOA) middleware and facilitates the integration of business processes that span different departments, organizations, or companies.

SAP PI uses SAP NetWeaver Application Server and message servers where in fail over cases the messages can be resent again.

The below differences will gives you more clarity

Verdict is we can use both the tools for data transfer/migration and for choosing the tool depends upon the business requirement

Please reply back if you need more information.

Regards

Murthy