cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP NetWeaver AS 7.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

The software company I work for has a Web and a portlet product which require JDK 1.5 and above. For this reason, we could only test these using the application server and portal server that come as part of the SAP NetWeaver Composition Environment 7.1. As a result, we intended to set the SAP NetWeaver AS 7.1 and SAP NetWeaver Portal 7.1 as certified, but one of our customers was surprised to hear this as he felt that the latest SAP production version for NetWeaver was 7.0.1, and the SAP NetWeaver Composition Environment 7.1 was only meant for customers to develop applications but should not be considered as a SAP production environment.

My 2 questions:

1- Are the SAP application server and portal server provided as part of the SAP NetWeaver Composition Environment 7.1 fit for production?

2- Is it correct to refer to these as SAP NetWeaver AS 7.1 and SAP NetWeaver Portal 7.1?

Regards,

Shaun Noonan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for the prompt feedback. So if I summarize:

- The application server and portal server provided as part of the SAP NetWeaver CE 7.1 are both fit for use in production

- We can refer to these as SAP NetWeaver AS 7.1 and SAP NetWeaver CE Portal 7.1

- The SAP NetWeaver CE Portal 7.1 does not provide all the functionality available under the regular SAP NetWeaver Portal 7.0.1 so customers may consider exposing the content from their CE portal under their SAP NetWeaver Portal 7.0.1 production system via a federated portal network

Let me know if I misinterpreted anything. Thanks!

Shaun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes SAP NW CE 7.1 is supported in live SAP Productive Environment.

The capabilities supported by CE 7.1 in the AS-JAVA environment include the following:

- Develop a Java EE-compliant application

- Develop user interfaces with Web Dynpro for Java

- Use the UDDI v3-based Services Registry for service discovery and consumption

What is known as usage types in NW 7.0 or 7.01 environments is called "Capabilities" in the CE 7.1 terms. The following capabilities are supported:

- JavaEE

- ESR

- Composition Platform

- Adobe

- Voice

- NWDI

- BPM

- Guided Procedures

So, as you see there is nothing called a NW CE 7.1 Portal, but yes there is AS-Java or JavaEE 7.1, which has its own application servers (as in NW 7.0 or 7.01).

Of course, using the federated portal network or application integration capabilities in SAP NetWeaver CE, you can integrate your composite applications into an existing SAP NetWeaver 7.0 runtime environment. Note that a portal running on SAP NetWeaver CE can function as a producer portal only; hence, consumer capabilities are not supported.

Check the CE 7.1 Master Guide & Installation Guide at http://service.sap.com/instguides

- Regards, Dibya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shaun,

Please understand that:

1. Yes, of course SAP Netweaver 7.1 is fit for production.

2. Well, you can't really call the portal as SAP Netweaver Portal 7.1 because this is CE portal and not the regular Netweaver Portal. This also means that the CE portal is a very limited functionality portal, which can only cater to needs of a CE system and it should not be mistaken for the full functionality Netweaver Portal which is available in Netweaver 7.01.

Regards,

Shitij

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi shaun,

I very well agree with vincent, & both your doubts are correct, for the resons to support my arguement, please try the link from SDN community

https://cw.sdn.sap.com/cw/docs/DOC-103745

And with all due respect even netweaver 2004 ( default SP 6) with the same release of Enterprise portal has good development applications for developers to work on. I am currently on SRM 5.O SR2 with netweaver 2004. All the functionalities with respect to the applications, corresponding to their various components are working fine with just occaisional errors in EBP menu stack,

Please let me know if you need further help,

thanks & good regards,

M. Nizam

vincentlim826
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwce10/helpdata/en/45/ff9fc1d8986c06e10000000a1553f6/frameset.htm

-> To address the business needs of the customers, SAP NetWeaver CE enables the implementation of a set of IT scenarios, which map the software capabilities to real business cases.

It does have SAP NetWeaver CE Portal for Portal Integration. Web Application Server is Part of Netweaver structure.

So, Yes from me, for both your questions.

Regards,

Vincent