Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup/Recovery strategy for SAP netweaver 7.0 SR3 connected to BI JAVA

antonio_voce
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi to all ,

I have an abap instance on win2003-x64/sql2005 sap netweaver 7.0 sr3 with on the same server the BI JAVA connected : two instance, two database.

Wich is the correct/best backup recovery strategy ? SQL backup online , offline ? wich op-system directory we must backup ?

In case of disaster recovery i have this scenario's possible :

1 Abap DB Failure

2 Java DB Failure

3 directory /USR* Failure

4 Abap DB Failure and Java DB failure

5 ABAP and JAVA and USR FAILURE complete disaster!!!

In this scenario's what i have to restore ?

It' is realistic that in all of this 5 cases I have to restore both databases ABAP JAVA and /USR* dir ?

for example in scenario 1 also Java and /USR* must be restored ?

In scenario 2 also abap and /USR* must be restored ?

in scenario 3 because java is also in file system (/USR) i must restore also Java DB and coneguently abap db ?

Thanks in advance . Antonio.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I have an abap instance on win2003-x64/sql2005 sap netweaver 7.0 sr3 with on the same server the BI JAVA connected : two instance, two database.

>

> Wich is the correct/best backup recovery strategy ? SQL backup online , offline ? wich op-system directory we must backup ?

I suggest you consider those as two different instance even if they run on the same hardware.

Taking a backup of a Java instance to a restorable state (in case of a DR) requires:

- a database backup

- a backup of the \usr\sap\<SID-of-J2EE> at the same time the database backup is running

- a registry backup (including the users and their UUIDs)

This will enable you to install a plain operating system, installing the database software and recover your Java instance. Note: This works only if the hostname and the SID are the same as on the original system. This procedure can not be used to do a system copy of the Java instance.

Taking a backup of ABAP is almost the same:

- a database backup

- a backup of the \usr\sap\<SID-of-ABAP>

- a registry backup

Since it's not possible to restore the registry partially but only completely a restore of it will overwrite the current values which is not a problem since they are basically the same.

The BI-Java instance is not directly dependent on the BI-ABAP backend but depending on where your users are stored the Java instance might not come up if your ABAP is not running.

Markus

antonio_voce
Contributor
0 Kudos

all very clearly markus !

Only a last question regarding the backup :

I read some notes and helps that suggest to stop the instances , especially the java instance ( for the SDM i read ) : wich is your experience regard this point ? expecially to garantee that java db backup and /usr... backup run at the same time as you write !!

tks Antonio.

Edited by: Antonio Voce on May 25, 2010 5:28 PM

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> all very clearly markus !

good!

> Only a last question regarding the backup :

>

> I read some notes and helps that suggest to stop the instances , especially the java instance ( for the SDM i read ) : wich is your experience regard this point ? expecially to garantee that java db backup and /usr... backup run at the same time as you write !!

Yes, you can do that.

If SDM is stopped nobody can deploy new application during the time the backup of either database or filesystem is running and so you have an additional safety, that the database and filesystem are consistent.

Markus

antonio_voce
Contributor
0 Kudos

thank you very much Markus.

I follow your suggestion.

andrey_timofeev2
Explorer
0 Kudos

HI Markus

Could you suggest how can I test this backup periodicly?

Can I test those backups on host with different hostname?

Thanks.

Andrey Timofeev

Answers (0)