cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to speed up the progress of applying support package

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I am now applying Basis support packages from SAPKB70014 to SAPKB70018 one by one.

Till now the first one SAPKB70014 haven't been finished, it had already took about 5 hours at import phase "IMPORT_PROPER".

I'd like to know whether there are any solutions to speed up the progress, any parameter settings?

if one takes 8 hours to finish, then, the five package upgrade will take 40 hours, that's horrible...

Any suggestions are welcomed.

thank you.

Nick

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Have you run the update statistics , Run it using DB13 and then check , it should speed up the processing.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gagan,

I just did it yesterday....

by the way, the physical memory is 8 GB and the CPU I think is strong enough:)

Maybe my BGD process is inadequate, only 3 now, I will try to increase the number next time to see the result.

then, how about other valuable solutions?

nick

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The best way to speed up the process is to implement all support packages in one queue.

Another way is to disable the redo / transaction log.

Laszlo

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can try to apply support packages one by one. Before applying any support package, you can check your SPAM version and update it to the lastest one by comparing it on market place. You can also check the version of programs TP and R3trans and update it by checking it at market place.

Thanks and Regards,

Kedar

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A support package should not take 5 hours to apply.... theres must be something wrong check the logs.

I presume your have called for downtime for the patching.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

Thanks for your advise. I just didn't notice this point.

But when I checked my setting, it seems not in Downtime-minimize mode.

In Extra->settings->import queue:

I see: Scenario with "Standard", and the checkbox for Import mode:downtime-minimized is not clicked on.

other options are:

clicked on : create new datafile

not clicked on: delete datafile after import

not clicked on: create object versions after import

ABAP/screen generation: never.

are there any mistakes I made?

nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

Thank you so much for your kind reply.

I noticed that although I set 3 background processes, there are only two out of three are working.

and sometimes only one BGD process working, why are the other BGD process not participate into the work?

12 BGD 3520 On Hold RFC Yes 19190 SAPLSTPA 000 DDIC

13 BGD 3528 Waiting Yes

14 BGD 3536 Waiting Yes

By the way, could you tell me is it normal that the status is On Hold for the first BGD process?

Best regards,

Nick

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A support package, its basically a big transport... it would not use all the background processes.

And yes, its normal that it goes on hold

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you use parallel R3trans in the settings to 5(SAP recommends to keep 5), the processing may speed up.

Refer note 1127194 for details on it.

Link: [1127194|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1127194]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

Thanks for your advise. and very sorry for my late reply.

I just tried to set parameter "PARALLEL" in the TMS configuration, and basis SP is 18 which is upper than 15, but finally when importing other SPs, there also always only 1 R3Trans.exe running, not 4 (the number I specified).

I set the parameters in the following ways:

STMS>System>Double click DEV system> change to "Transport Tool" view>add a new parameter "PARALLEL". after that, I restart the server. Am I correct or have something wrong?

Thank you and best regards,

Nick