cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change Product Hierarchy Description field length

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear gurus,

Hope you can help me. In SD Product Hierarchy, the client requirement is to increase the maximum character length of Description field from 40 characters to 100 characters. This is so the users can type very long descriptions when defining the product hierarchies.

By the way, in SPRO this is the path:

Logistics - General -> Material Master -> Data Relevant to Sales and Distribution -> Define Product Hierarchies -> Maintenance: Prod. Hier. Struc. -> then display V_T179 table.

The table with field VTEXT (Product Hierarchy Description) is V_T179. I can ask BASIS for an access key and simply change the field length of VTEXT char40 to char100 in this SAP standard table, but I don't know the implications. Will that be okay?

Has anyone done this before?

Thank you very much!

-Mozart

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

you are saying that you will extend the product hierarchy field from 40 to 100.

here are the implications:

when ever you are going to upgrade the version of the system you need to check this first.

where ever this field is trigerring you have to enhance there also because it will show 40 in the point of result.

moreover you need more abapers to work on that.

regards,

balajia

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have just received a request to change ours from 40 to 60. Was wondering whether you continued with your change and how you did it. I am against changing std SAP. Hoping you can provide an update on what you ended up doing.

former_member183879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I dont think there are any implications of just updating the field VTEXT in T179. However you have to be careful not to carelessly update the other fields which will have lot of implications.

Hence instead of updating T179, it will be foolproof and risk free, if you update the table T179T-VTEXT which has the text for PH based on language.