cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

We purchased an IDES SAP system. ERP 6.0 EHP4 SR1 NW 7.0. Installing on WinServer2008 64bit and using SQL2008, also 64bit. The basic installation went along fairly well once we realized that we had to use a domain admin account to install it since it has to create some users/groups/containers in Active Directory.

We finally got SAPRouter up and running and making a connection.

SLICENSE requires the new style digital license with this version of SAP and requested and got that without problem.

Used SLICENSE to install the new licenses NETWEAVER_MSS and MAINTENANCE_MSS. Both went in no problem and show a green status.

Problem is when you go into SPAM or SAINT it says there is no valid maintenance certificate.

We have spent several weeks now trying to figure out why it will not recognize it.

I have ran SNOTE and installed everything it wanted.

I have updated the Kernel.

I have tried numerous notes that might have applied to this.

Used saplicense with no effect except to delete the temp license (which is now expired anyway)

The only thing out of the ordinary that we can see is the fact that inside SAP you can look at tables but when in SQLmanagement Studio, the stored procedures show up but non of the tables in this database at all(even after a restore). Since we are using a custom login PW for the SAP generated accounts and these get stored in a table, then they have to be there.

Problem 1. Why will it not recognize that we have licenses installed?

Problem 2. Since the temp license has expired and I can only log in under SAP* (which won't allow the SM wizard to run all the way) am I going to have to start all over?

I would assume if Problem 1 goes away then P2 would go away with it but i'm not sure.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff

Seems that the License key is using the wrong Hardware key.

From the SLICENSE snapshot it seems that the Active Hardware key starts with a "O" and not a "ZERO - 0". But the License key is generated using a ZERO and not a "O".

A quick way of comparing this is copy the active hardware key in Notepad and see whether the first position of the key has a O or a "0".

If it is a "O" then you will have to request for a new license key with the correct hardware key which will also get you the correct maintenance certificate.

Let me know what the case is.

Regards

Amit

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

Former Member
0 Kudos

SOOOO Frustrating but FIXED.

It was after all a problem with O vs 0

I awarded points to Jared and Amit both for putting us on the right track.

I "assumed" it was supposed to be a ZERO.

The license.txt file had a zero in it, I figured there is no way the system would generate a key with an O and a 0 right next to each other but that is exactly what it did.

The hardware key started with an O but the file that SAP sent us had a ZERO in front of the hardware key.

All is well now.

Thanks for help everyone.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Amit,

Was a good try but even though the parameter is there after restarting, still no luck on license.

Ruedigar,

Unfortunately I cannot update the SPAM/SAINT version for two reasons.

The invalid license message will only put SPAM/SAINT into display mode.

Since the temp license expired the only user you can now log in as is SAP* and SPAM/SAINT requires DDIC.

Thanks for the suggestions though guys.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Amit,

> Was a good try but even though the parameter is there after restarting, still no luck on license.

>

> Ruedigar,

> Unfortunately I cannot update the SPAM/SAINT version for two reasons.

> The invalid license message will only put SPAM/SAINT into display mode.

> Since the temp license expired the only user you can now log in as is SAP* and SPAM/SAINT requires DDIC.

>

> Thanks for the suggestions though guys.

Hi Jeff

I think it is a good idea to open a SAP message for this as you are not able to resolve the issue with the Solutions provided to you on this thread. You could use the component SV-SMG-LIC.

Regards

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Amit,

I had looked at this in note 1280664 about a week or so ago but since the description for this change said that the license would not show in SLICENSE with this parameter, and ours does show, I ignored it but I am definately willing to try anything at this point.

Maybe I am looking in the wrong place though. the note does not tell you how to change it just what to change.

Using RZ10, there shows 3 profiles, Default, Start and Instance.

None of which have the this parameter in them.

I checked the system in Germany of our sister division and it does not show this parameter either.

Am I looking at the right thing?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff,

The parameter has to be set in the instance profile. By Default the parameter is set in the kernel and is not visible in the Profiles. You will have to add it as a new parameter to the instance profile.

You can check the default values of the parameter using trx RZ11. And once the parameter is set and system is restarted once again check RZ11 to see whether the change took effect.

Regards

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

I saw what you were looking at before I posted the screenshot but it is definately a zero.

If you look down at the installed licenses none of the zeros have the dot in the center. Not sure why some do and some do not.

The shape is also different between the three.

o lower case

O upper case

0 zero

I looked at how all three show up inside SAP and by changing it in the license file in Notepad and there is an obvious difference between the three in shape.

Just to be sure I retyped it in the text file and re-imported with same results.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff,

The last check I would suggest is the following :

Increase the parameter slic/buffer_entries_dig_sig to a value of 15. The default is 5. Restart the system. If the issue continues this calls for a SAP message.

Regards

Amit

former_member209604
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Are you able to use a more recent SPAM/SAINT version (you are currently using 7.01/0032)

Error handling is improved in later versions (for example, it will show the current hardware key)

Regards,

Ruediger

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Paul,

This is our first and only system. It was generated as a new install and there is no old system to conflict with.

Hey Jared,

Hardware key is good. I generated it originally to get the License key from SAP. and since it is the new digital license, SLICENSE loads it automatically from the text file created by SAP so no chance of a mistype.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Hey Paul,

> This is our first and only system. It was generated as a new install and there is no old system to conflict with.

>

> Hey Jared,

> Hardware key is good. I generated it originally to get the License key from SAP. and since it is the new digital license, SLICENSE loads it automatically from the text file created by SAP so no chance of a mistype.

Hi Jeff,

Can you upload a snapshot of the SLICENSE transaction and the actual error that you are getting in SPAM/SAINT ?

That will clarify all the doubts that we might have in this case.

Regards

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Both licenses are installed and show a green status.

NETWEAVER_MSS and MAINTENANCE_MSS (showing 6weeks left before the 3 months is up on maintenance)

The license that expired was the temporary Maintenance license that is installed during initial install.

Everything on SLICENSE looks correct except for one thing.

In the top portion under "Current Settings" the expiration date field is blank.

Paul_Babier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Jeff,

Just a quick question. When you generated the new licenses, did you specify for an existing installation of for a new

installation? I beleive the default is for a new installation, which would mean the license would be generated for a new installation number and not your existing installations. You might want to verify you have created these licenses for the

proper installation.

Regards,

Paul

JaredS
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Jeff,

Please verify that the hardware key is correct. Pay attention to ensure that the letter 'o' is not being used for zero '0'

I have seen situations like this before and the symptom was actually showing the License Expiration Date as blank.

-Jared

Nibu
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Maintanance Cert. is just another type of license, that typically needs to be renewed all 3 months.

It proofs, that your system is covered with a valid maintenance contract. You can either install it manually or through solution manager . It is available in SMP www.service.sap.com/licensekey . Once downloaded , you can install it through SLICENSE > NEW licenses .

For more info. check Note 1240265 - SPAM, SAINT: No maintenance certificate found .

Regards,

NIbu Antony

JaredS
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Jeff,

If I understand correctly, you are having an issue running SAINT / SPAM, even though the license is installed.

If that is the case, please keep in mind that the Maintenance Certificate and system license are two seperate entities.

If the Maintenance Certificate is missing or has expired, then the system will not allow you to run SAINT or SPAM.

You will need to generate the certificate and then apply it to your system. You can do this through the MarketPlace.

For the exact steps on how to accomplish this, please navigate to http://service.sap.com/maintenancecertificate.

See 'How to request a Maintenance Certificate in SAP Support Portal'

Please keep in mind that the certificate requires a renewal every 90 days so it is best to setup the system via Solution Manager

to automatically request and apply the certificate.

Regards,

Jared