Error in SAP Kernel upgrade

nirmal_konchada
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

I have upgraded the SAP ECC kernel for my AIX 6.1 and Oracle 10.2.0.2 system

from 221 to 236.

Now after replacing the kernel I am not able to start the SAP system

and getting the following error(The same error even if I change to old kernel) :

Starting SAP Instance DVEBMGS00

-

exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load

program /usr/sap/ZED/DVEBMGS00/exe/sapstartsrv beca

use of the following errors:

0509-120 An offset in the .loader section header is too large. 0509-193 Examine the .loader section header with the

'dump -Hv' command.

Startup of Instance Service failed

Please help me in resolving this issue.

Regards,

Nirmal.K

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Try to check the SAP and Oracle process on the system. If any of the sytems are running, kill these processes. If oracle is still running try stoping it using BR tools.

Then try to start the SAP system ( using startsap).

If this does not help, try shutting down the box and then try to restart SAP.

Regards

Naeem

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I simply think you have downloaded the wrong kernel...

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Did you download and try using the most current version of SAPCAR?

if not go get a newer version of SAPCAR at http://service.sap.com/patches

If you are still having problems,

1. Copy your SAPEXEDB file to a directory on your PC.

2. Download a Windows version of SAPCAR and put it on your PC as well -

I put my copy in c:\Windows\system32 so I always know where it is. Now see if the WIndows SAPCAR extracts the files on your PC - if so, you can FTP the extracted files to your AIX server.

Make sure that when you transfer file using FTP in AIX server you should set Binary in FTP.

Cheers,

Chaith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nirmal.

Are you sure that, the old kernal bakck -up you have is complete. Let's try to restore that backup in all the kernal locations ( i mean in /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe and /usr/sap/SID/<DVxxx / exe ) and try to start the system with old kernal.

Once the system is up. Take a back up of exe directory again. Stop the system. Kill the process related to SAP, then... download the requried patch ( .SAR ) files and keep in /exe folder and uncar there. It should be working.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You should have made a copy of exe directory as exe.old before doing the kernel upgrade. Generally reverting back the old kernel files helps in these scenario.

If you are having any other system in your landscape having similar/old kernel version then try to copy the concerned file from that servers exe directory and replace erroneous one in the current server.

nirmal_konchada
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Guys,

My only concern is to upgrade the kernel and not reverting.....please help in upgrading

Nirmal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check the below threads which might help you.

Regards,

Sharath

former_member227283
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi nirmal,

Did you done cleanipc ??

Thanks

Anil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nirmal,

I understand you want to perform the Kernel upgrade. But at this point you can try to start the sever by old kernel. If server starts fine with old kernel, you can again the steps of kernel upgrade and try. Something might have gone wrong earlier which might get rectified.

Thanks and Regards,

Kedar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just try to replace the file sapstartsrv.exe file only with the latest one and then restart.

Regards,

Sharath

nirmal_konchada
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sharath,

I want to upgrade my kernel so from where can I have this sapstartsrv.exe, bcoz I am already using sapstartsrv which is the latest.

Regards,

Nirmal.K

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are starting SAP with new kernel, then update the kernel in below two locations and then restart

usr/sap/<SID>/sys/exe and /usr/sap/ZED/DVEBMGS00/exe/.

If you are restarting with old kernel and you are getting the error then replace the sapstartsrv.exe only with the latest from new kernel and restart.

Regards,

Sharath

nirmal_konchada
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes....I had already tried that, updated the kernel files under both the locations as mentioned by you, but still I am facing this error.

Nirmal.