cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing and adding to Taxonomy Text Values

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi MDM experts,

I have loaded a taxonomy, attributes, attribute texts and linked the attributes to nodes in the taxonomy. I also have products associated to the taxonomy nodes.

I am now importing data to populate products with the values of the taxonomy attributes. Occasionally, there are new values for the taxonomy text of an attribute in the input file.

When I import the taxonomy text for an existing attribute which already has several text values, the new value wipes out all the current values, replacing them with the new value for the import.

For example, the attribute Primary Color has values red, green, yellow. I get a product which has a primary color of blue. When I map using the Taxonomy [Text Values], the only Text value I have left after importing is blue.

I am using the Update all mapped fields option. I tried the Replace option and got the same results.

Is there a way to import additional text values and have them add to the existing list of text values for an attribute? I am on MDM version 5.5.63.74.

thanks,

morgan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sudhanshu,

The former. You have to create the attribute first. Then you can add (or append) to the list of values for the attribute.

morgan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sudhanshu,

You are correct. There is no way to populate an attribute that doesn't exist.

Here are my observations on importing product attribute data to MDM:

Import Manager

1. An input file that has an existing attribute that is not linked to the taxonomy node of the part will map but will not import. The error on import is 'One or more attribute values are invalid'.

2. A non-existing attribute will not map so you can't import data as long as the new attribute is in your input file.

Import Server

1. If there is an exiting attribute in the input file that is not linked to the part's taxonomy node, the import will fail with the error 'One or more attribute values are invalid'.

2. If there is a new attribute in the input file, the file will import. This tells me the import server just ignores the new attribute.

Since MDM does not have the concept of a free-form text attribute, the data for that attribute always needs to be added to the list of values for the attribute. This is what I was having a problem with. I found that if you set the Multi-Valued Update option in the Destination pane to Append, the value in the input file will be appended to the existing list of values for the attribute and then it can be used to populate the attribute on the part. (This requires 2 separate imports to populate the part attribute -- unfortunately).

Hope this helps,

Morgan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Morgan,

You want to say that if i am importing a new attribute value that is not there in repository then in single import it is not possible

to do full imprt of input file and we have to to do two imports

OR

You want to say that if multi valued update option set in destination items then it is possible in single import.

In my case the multi valued updatte option is coming disabled.

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Morgan

the observations made by you are valid. There is no other way for importing new attributes value in MDM using the same import map or in a single pass. We need to add the attributes first separately and then trigger the import for the main table source file containing newly added attribuutes.

hope this helps-Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Morgan,

I tried same at my end but i am getting error while importing a product with new attribute value .

In this import step the new avlue getting added in attribute values but the main table recordnot getiing updated as giving error for that record.

I dont know how you are able to import new attribute values and it wipes out old values.

Please tell me how its possible to add value to attribute that is not already there.

Thanks,

Sudhanshu