Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using LDAP Authentication

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I've searched through the forum trying to find answers regarding LDAP authentication with SAP, but even got more confused.

I have an 4.7 setup to import users from Active Directory.

The Users are imported with password deactivated.

What I need to achieve is an authentication with the Users LDAP-Account (Username / Password). At this point SSO is not an option. Is this possible with SAP standard or are there third party products necessary??

Later on SSO via SAP Gui is to be set up. As the SAP Server is running on Linux, I found out that SAP doesn't provide the needed libraries for authentication against Active Directory. Now I've read through several Threads and Notes and I am not quiete clear about how/where to get these libraries.

Are there only third party vendors where these libs are to be bought? Or can standard libs of the OS be used?

Sorry if I messed up some things, but at the moment I am really confused.

Best regards and thank you

Frank

1 REPLY 1

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Frank,

I would like to answer each of your questions and give you some more information:

1. When logging on via SAP GUI, it is not possible to use LDAP auth in the way you are expecting. instead, you can use an SNC library which supports Kerberos and then the user will enter their AD domain account name and password to logon to SAP. Most SNC libraries are positioned to be used for SSO, but there is at least one that I know which can be used the way you want, so a user gets a SignOn screen each time they logon to SAP and enter their MS AD domain account name and password at that time, rather than using credentials obtained during workstation logon.

2. To get SNC libraries for SSO or ABAP system authentication, you can buy a product from a SAP partner, or write your own. Some companies are brave and they use open source code, but support is not provided for this and it is not as easy as you might think, so often companies try this first, fail and then ask a SAP partner for help and are able to get the solution working a few hours later ...

I hope this helps - any more questions, please ask.

Thanks,

Tim