cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot edit any roles in CUP5.2 due to "Enter a valid Role Name" error

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are running CUP 5.2.

I am having a problem with our Roles after they were uploaded into CUP; I cannot make any changes to the Role Details because CUP returns an error stating that our Role Names are invalid.

First I uploaded the roles (I continued to receive errors when trying to use the template, so I did them by uploading with the "Selected Roles" option).

Once they were uploaded, from the menu, I select: Roles --> Search Role and then I choose a role from the resulting list. When the next screen appears (the "Role Details" screen), I added all of the respective details (Business Process, Sub-Process, Detailed Description, Role Approver, Functional Area, etc.). When I pressed the SAVE button, I received the following error:

Please correct the following errors:

Please enter a valid "Role Name". Only Alpha-numeric, Space or Underscore characters are allowed

So I realize what the problem is - the "Role Name" field is automatically populated with our security role name as it exists in our SAP system ... and because our security roles all begin with Z:, it does not follow the CUP naming convention.

I'd like to just update the "Role Name" field but when you are in the "Role Details" screen, the "Role Name" field cannot be edited.

I saw the "Export" button and used that, in an attempt to edit the file to replace each occurence of Z: with Z_, and then upload it again.

So I updated the file accordingly, and then did an upload, selecting the "Overwrite Existing Roles" box.

It returned a successful message:

Import Status: 133 successfully imported out of 133 records found

Yet, when I go back to the list of roles, the roles still exist as Z: instead of Z_ so I still cannot edit any of the roles to add the required details ... has anyone had a similar issue and know how to work around this?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Joyce,

Follow this method:

Download the roles in spreadsheet format. Replace Z: with Z_. Now, go back to CUP and delete all the roles starting with Z: by going to search roles and selecting roles one by one from each page. Once all the roles are removed from CUP, upload the spreadsheet with role names starting with Z_.

Regards,

Alpesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Alpesh,

Thank you for replying!

I had already tried to export the roles and replaced the Z: with Z_ before creating this message, but the upload attempts failed due to the explanation above. But this time, I followed your (good) advice to delete the original Z: roles first, before uploading the corrected file.

Sadly, even after I deleted the original Z: roles prior to uploading the corrected file, I am still having no luck ... when I uploaded the file, again it (falsely) reports that the import was successful:

Import Status: 133 successfully imported out of 133 records found

After seeing that message, I quickly checked the roles, and none of the roles had uploaded. So now I have ZERO roles.

Any further ideas? I am thinking it may be something very small that is being overlooked ... perhaps certain buttons must be selected/not selected on the import screen? Or could it be an issue with the file itself?

When I do the import, I only select the button for "From File ..." and retrieve the file from my desktop via the Browse button. I do not select any other button, nor do I make a selection from the System or Role Source boxes. I have just selected that one button only ... I've tried it with and without checking the "Overwrite Existing Roles" box, but neither one works.

The part that bugs me the most is that I receive what I perceive to be an inaccurate/bogus "successful" status each time I attempt the upload of the file. At least if I had an error message, I might have something to work with to troubleshoot this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joyce,

Can you try to upload the roles again. This time, select the application. Once you receive the successful message, please take the logs and paste them here. Did you open a message wtih SAP? I have not worked on 5.2 for almost 2 years and do not have access to it either so I can not test it.

Regards,

Alpesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

I went to Monitoring --> System Log --> Application Trace --> Get Logs

From there, I saw "logsAE/logger.log" and opened that. Here is the last entry, I hope this helps?

2010-05-21 11:15:00,610 [SAPEngine_Application_Thread[impl:3]_26] INFO com.virsa.ae.configuration.bo.RoleDetailsBO : saveRoleWithLocale( RoleDetailsDTO dto, boolean overWrite, LocaleFieldContainerDTO localeDTO ) : : No Records Found ..

2010-05-21 11:15:00,627 [SAPEngine_Application_Thread[impl:3]_26] ERROR Locale Object: US

2010-05-21 11:15:05,035 [SAPEngine_Application_Thread[impl:3]_13] ERROR Locale Object: US

(For easier reading, I cut out the majority of the log, since they all had the same statement repeated many times)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I opened a ticket with SAP and it turns out this was a known bug, as well as the fact that the template in my version also did not work properly. The immediate workaround prior to applying the patches was to use the template that SAP sent me in the ticket.

Answers (0)