cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XI in BOBJ data services XI3.2, is thats the same as Netweaver XI/PI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello , regarding bobj data services XI 3.x.

Is this XI 3.1 ( or 3.2 ) part the same as SAP Netweaver PI 7.1? Has anyone worked on this XI part ?

I have heard from an expert that itu2019s the same but has someone here worked on it , meaning XI 3.1/3.2 which comes with bobj data services.

What are the similarities / differences?

Also regarding the mapping skills , can a SAP XI/PI person work on the bobj data services XI 3.2 ( just the XI part ) or is there some bobj knowledge required?

In other words,

BOBJ - ETL tool

SAP XI/PI - EAI tool

So is BOBJ data services XI 3.2 just a combination of 2 different tool-sets or is this something totally new? Also if they are similar why is it still XI 3.1 , whereas netweaver had moved on to PI 7.1?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

stefan_grube
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Is this XI 3.1 ( or 3.2 ) part the same as SAP Netweaver PI 7.1? Has anyone worked on this XI part ?

No. XI 3.1 does not have anything to do with PI. It is not related to XI 3.0. It is a total different product line.

> I have heard from an expert that itu2019s the same..

This cannot be an expert

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

that might have been from my m-a-i-l but the mail looked like this:

======================================================

start of quote"

>>>I know an ETL tool is not right for integration, but I am not sure what BOBJ data services XI 3.1 ( now 3.2?) does.

>>>Is the same as SAP PI

you mention the difference in this sentence - PI is not an ETL tool and data service is not a middleware

I worked with data service and even wanted to write a blog with differences as for SAP PI but don't have the time

anyway SAP will tall the difference for your managers for sure

or just install it and develop one flow (1 day) and show it to your managers

end of quote"

======================================================

so "it's the same" it not my sentence but a quote from sandeep's mail and it was supposed to be a question I believe...

@sandeep - please read your questions

@Stefan - sometimes you're not responsible how people read the info you give them

hope we got this clear

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk

Former Member
0 Kudos

AH!, my bad guys.

I apologize Mike.

But has someone worked on bobj xi? how is it different ?

We are implementing both tools and have to decide on what works best where.

I know what PI does but cannot speak for bobj XI, therefore I am trying to really dig deeper.

I have a doc on ETL vs EAI from bobj , so I have an idea.

But nothing beats someones hand-on experince trying to use these.

SAP calls this next-generation ETL so I am sure there are not many who have used obj XI, or am I wrong?

Stefan/Mike, what are the differences? or am I being naive trying to find differences and should look at them as totally different tools?

Do any PI skills overlap with bobj XI?

Edited by: Sandeep Bhavsar on May 19, 2010 10:29 AM

stefan_grube
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> @Stefan - sometimes you're not responsible how people read the info you give them

I think it is SAP who is responsible for the confusion.

When they name a product XI 3.1, everyone must think that this is related to PI.

Especially when it is stated, that XI 3.1 is used for data integration (which is not the same as process integration, but sounds similar).

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

>>>Do any PI skills overlap with bobj XI?

yes - as you use "adapters" in both cases to fetch or put the file

>>>Stefan/Mike, what are the differences?

but bobj does not give such configuration possibilities as PI does

(it does not have anything like integration directory) as everything is stored in the same place

where you develop the flow

try to search for a comparison of free available adapters and standards between PI and bobj

I'm sure this would show many differences too

also bobj does not have any other modern EAI tools like PI does like service registry for example

so the answer would be -

use BOBJ for ETL

use PI for EAI

that's all

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk

stefan_grube
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> should look at them as totally different tools?

Yes. They are different tools for a different purpose.