cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heterogenous system Copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi to all,

We have ECC 6.0 installed in a box with AIX and Oracle 10G release.

We want to make a system copy between Two box and we will keep the same release of Oracle but may be we will change OS to Windows or Linux.

Can we do this kind of migration ?

Can we change completely OS between souce system and target system ?

If yes when doing export of system at the source system, how target system can detect the exported files that have UNIX Format ?

Best Regards.

Zied.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Zied,

Yes, all of this is possible. you will need to carry out a system copy using SAPINST.

Step 1 is making an export of the source system using sapinst.

Step 2 is installing the target system using the export from step 1 and this also using sapinst.

Sapinst itself takes care of the conversion of platform versions (DB or OS).

Please refer to the system copy guides for your platform. These are available at:

service.sap.com/instguides --> SAP Business Suite Applications --> SAP ERP --> SAP ERP 6.0 --> Installation.

Regards,

Shitij

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Shitij,

So before making the import of target system there is no necessary to have a new system installed ?

For us we need to make an import with having same SID of source and target system, there is no problem with this ?

Regards.

Zied.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are right. No need to have the target system already installed as the sapinst will be installing the new system with the exported data. So you can give any SID, sys nr., etc.

It will ok if you shut down the original system, or at least do not use it in the same landscape as SAP suggests against having two systems with same SID in the same landscape.

But it is ok if you are discarding the original system or keeping it isolated from the new one. Make sure they are not in the same landscape and don't even share the same trans dirs, etc.

Hope u understood my meaning.

Regards,

Shitij

R e w a r d p o i n t s i f u s e f u l l ...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please let me know whether my understanding regarding Heterogenous system copy is correct when i say follwoing -

We have systems with SAP 4.6C with database Oracle 9.2.0.7 on AIX 5.3 We want to migrate it from AIX 5.3 TO SUN Solaris on new hardware keeping the DB as ORALCE and upgrade the Oracle to 10.2.0.4 Later as we are going for upgrade to ECC 6.0.

So we have to do the system copy of existing 4.6C system using SAPINST as i understand that , we are changing our OS (i.e. from AIX TO SUN) the only possible way to do the system copy is SAPINST and Backup/restore can not be use.

Thanks

jorge_velasquez
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have the same issue, how did you solve it?

Regards