Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GRC AC 5.3 - RAR Parameters

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have the following 8 queries related to GRC AC 5.3 RAR parameters

When I go into RAR -> Configuration -> Miscellaneous, I see the following entries.

Maximum Display Lines For Print Preview

This parameter specifies the maximum number of lines to be displayed in print preview mode; the default value is 500

1- What is the Print Preview of the lines for? Can I make it 10000 instead of 500. Is there a performance impact?

Background Job Spool File Location

This parameter specifies the location where the background job spool files are stored Note: You need to restart the server

2- Why do I need the Background Job Spool File location? Is it when I use Default Logger parameter as SAP Logger? Currently we are using the Default Logger parameter as Java Logger

Alert Log File Name and Location

This parameter specifies the location where the action usage purged data files are stored

3- Whey do I need this Alert Log file parameter for? I mean how is the Alert Log file generated in RAR 5.3

SAP Application Server Location

Enter SAP application server location here

4- Why do I need SAP Application Server Location, when I have installed SAP GRC 5.3 on standalone SAP JAVA Stack?

FTP Site Location

Enter FTP site location here

5- What should the FTP site location be given as? Should I give a fully qualified domain for a particular host for the FTP of above RAR background job log files and RAR Alert log files?

6- Do we have the background job log files FTP into another host, if Default Logger parameter is chosen as SAP Logger?

FTP Site User Name

Enter FTP site User Name here

7- What is the best practice for specifying a FTP User? I mean what is the username normally given in RAR environment?

8- Is there any OSS Note, SAP Help URL which describes about RAR parameters in detail?

Thanks,

Haleem

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

> Maximum Display Lines For Print Preview

> This parameter specifies the maximum number of lines to be displayed in print preview mode; the default value is 500

>

> 1- What is the Print Preview of the lines for? Can I make it 10000 instead of 500. Is there a performance impact?

>

You should used 500 only.

> Background Job Spool File Location

> This parameter specifies the location where the background job spool files are stored Note: You need to restart the server

>

> 2- Why do I need the Background Job Spool File location? Is it when I use Default Logger parameter as SAP Logger? >Currently we are using the Default Logger parameter as Java Logger

>

No, background job spool file location is something different from logger. Background spool file location is the location where

spool file of your background job will be generated.

Diferent between Java Logger and SAP Logger is that if you choose SAP Logger then log file of your RAR will be generated in NWA. But if you will choose as Java Logger then log file will be generated as separate file as ccappcomp.<n>.log which you will see in CC debugger.

> Alert Log File Name and Location

> This parameter specifies the location where the action usage purged data files are stored

>

> 3- Whey do I need this Alert Log file parameter for? I mean how is the Alert Log file generated in RAR 5.3

>

check below link:

> SAP Application Server Location

> Enter SAP application server location here

>

> 4- Why do I need SAP Application Server Location, when I have installed SAP GRC 5.3 on standalone SAP JAVA Stack?

>

> FTP Site Location

> Enter FTP site location here

>

> 5- What should the FTP site location be given as? Should I give a fully qualified domain for a particular host for the FTP of above RAR background job log files and RAR Alert log files?

> 6- Do we have the background job log files FTP into another host, if Default Logger parameter is chosen as SAP Logger?

>

> FTP Site User Name

> Enter FTP site User Name here

>

> 7- What is the best practice for specifying a FTP User? I mean what is the username normally given in RAR environment?

The following new reports can have long runtimes:

- User Authorization Count

- Role Authorization Count

- List Expired and Expiring Roles for Users

- For that reason These jobs run on ABAP side and produce a spool file. An icon is displayed on the front-end for the jobs that complete. (If you run jobs on all systems and it finishes on one system before another the icon will display for the finished system first)

- The report directory on the SAP Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) application servers. This is the temporary storage location for spool files generated by these background jobs.

- The same directory name is used for all SAP backend systems.

- The location, user name, and password for FTP of security reports generated by backend SAP ERP systems.

> 8- Is there any OSS Note, SAP Help URL which describes about RAR parameters in detail?

Note 1121978 - Recommended settings to improve peformance risk analysis

Check below link for performance optimization of RAR:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/90aa3190-8386-2b10-c4ba-ced67322e...

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sunny.

I am little bit confused about FTP User.

Do I need to specify a OS User (of Backend system such as <sid>adm) as FTP User?

OR

If OS User is not specified as FTP User, then which user should I create and specify as FTP User?

Thanks,

Haleem

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is not necessary that you put <sid>adm user. You can create any ftp user and mention there and this user should have read and write access to that directory.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sunny.

So does this FTP User have to be a member of Administrators group (if created on Windows OS)?

Also my understanding is that the FTP User does not have to be on same server, where the backend RTAs system exists.

It can be any Server.

Example: The backend R3 System (where RTAs are installed is on AIX 6.1) Can I create a FTP user as OS User on Windows, where the GRC RAR background spool files reside. Please let me know, if my understanding is right?

Thanks,

Haleem

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You are right. File will be getting generated on backend system. So you need an user which will ftp form GRC system to the directory where log files are stored on backend system.

Since your backend is on unix and GRC on window, I don't think so it will create any issue if ftp port and firewall is opened between your systems. Still you can check with your OS guys.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sunny. I am actually not clear.

My query is as follows. The GRC System is on Windows. The backend system is on UNIX OS.

I would like to view the logfiles on Windows instead of viewing them from UNIX OS.

1- Based on the above, Can I generate the logfiles directly on Windows OS (where the GRC System is located?)

2- If I cannot do above point 1, then if I generate logfiles on backend Unix OS, what is the standard FTP port, which it listens to? (Is it something like 5<instance_no>xx?

I mean what do I have to request the OS Admin on backend system, as to which standard FTP port should be opened in the firewall for the frontend GRC System to be able to create the background job logfiles on the backend?

Thanks once again for help.

Thanks,

Haleem

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

> My query is as follows. The GRC System is on Windows. The backend system is on UNIX OS.

> I would like to view the logfiles on Windows instead of viewing them from UNIX OS.

>

> 1- Based on the above, Can I generate the logfiles directly on Windows OS (where the GRC System is located?)

>

You cannot do this directly on window. When your backend system is installed on unix. Log files will be generated on backend system only.

> 2- If I cannot do above point 1, then if I generate logfiles on backend Unix OS, what is the standard FTP port, which it listens >to? (Is it something like 5<instance_no>xx?

It should not be this port. It will will do ftp like ftp <ip address> then location which you specified form their it will take logs and display report in GRC. And how ftp will take place between window and unix, a OS guy can tell you more clearly.

Thanks

Sunny

Answers (0)