Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP MaxDB Database Studio - Infinite Refreshing

former_member238852
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Guru's,

We are using SAP MaxDB Database Studio Version: 7.7.06.09 on our Windows 2003 X86 server.

We are executing the studio using the following command:

cd C:\sapdb\programs\DatabaseStudio

dbstudio.exe -vm "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.5.0_22\bin\java.exe"

We are able to connect to the local SDB database as superdba. When we connect to Administration mode, the system is refreshing in an infinite loop without displaying any of the database information.

Please let me know on how to correct this issue...

Thank you,

Nikee

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Nikee, dear community,

The issue was neither caused by an infinite refresh nor by the underlying 'dban_state' command hanging. It only seemed to be hanging because of DB Studio suppressed an error message that a certain DLL couldn't be found.

Calling the dbanalyzer.exe executable from the commandline DID showed the actual error.

The dll in question was: SDBODBCW.dll

Background info: the name of SAP MaxDB ODBC dlls changed from version 7.6 to 7.7.

In this case, you only had ODBC 7.6 on your system and the DB kernel and DB Analyzer are of 7.7. The DB Analzyer couldn't find the needed (new) dll, because you previously went back (manually) to ODBC 7.6

The workaround was to extract the two files from the same 7.7 SDBODBC.TGZ package and place them in the IndepProgPath/bin (/sapdb/programs/pgm):

SDBODBCW.dll

SDBODBC.dll

take care,

Junco

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Melanie
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Nikee,

you seem to be a SAP customer. If you have trouble with Database Studio, you might want to open a support message that we can analyze and fix this problem. A remote connection to the server where Database Studio is running might be needed.

Best regards,

Melanie

former_member238852
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Melanie,

I have submitted a ticket with SAP Support almost 10 days back. I haven't heard nor received any response from SAP.

Due to this reason, I have approached SDN...

Thank you,

Nikee

Edited by: Nikee Reddy on May 20, 2010 12:15 PM

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Nikee,

Please set the u201Chighu201D priority to the SAP message which need the high attention from SAP support.

Thank you and best regards, Natalia Khlopina

0 Kudos

Hello Nikee,

are you able to post some logs and traces informations?

I don't use Database Studio currently so I don't remember where it stores the log and traces informations, but I hope that something is traced somewhere.

In my very very personal opinion, Database Studio is not a mature tool up to now, I tried some time ago and I was disappointed because it seems too complex and not stable, I would not use it in a production environment

Valerio

former_member238852
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Valerio,

Thanks for your input.

Looks like you are using the command line interface to administer the MaxDB database...Kindly send me the commands the one you use...

Thank you,

Nikee

0 Kudos

Hello,

I have always used Database Manager GUI, you can download from http://service.sap.com

It's older than Database Studio and is available for Windows only, but it is stable and reliable, and offers the same functionality than Database Studio

Warning: you must be sure that it is supported for the release you are using, I think it is ok for release 7.7, I am not sure for the brand new MaxDB 7.8 release. This happens because SAP wants to drop this tool in the future and continue to develop and support Database Studio only

Regards,

Valerio