cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sample with different unit of measure

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I'm procuring material which its base unit of measure is KG, I want my sample in milligrams, for example 5 mg.

I made sampling procedure with 5 samples, and when I used it in the inspection plan, I changed the sample unit of measure (which was the default as the material base unit of measure) from KG to MG.

The sample size I got with ZERO, when I changed it back to KG I got a sample size !!!

Can any body help how can I get this done?

Regards,

MaX

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Try this. Change the sampel size to 5,000,000 using mg and let me know what you get.

I believe the problem is a rounding error. No matter what you do, SAP does all the calculations in the BUOM. So if you specify 5mg as your sample size you'll get something like 0.000005 kg which when rounded will round to 0.00001. I believe the maximum in decimals for sample size is 3, that becomes .000 or zero.

If you specify 5,000,000 I think it'll convert this to 5 kg, do your sample calculation (i.e. consider destructive testing, characteristic requirments, etc) and convert back to mg.

I'm not 100% sure exactly what is going on in the back ground but I suspect this might be the problem. So you might not be able to specify that small of a sample size for a given characteristic.

You shouldn't really have that wide of a difference between your sample UOM and the BUOM.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well Fire if I did 5,000,000 mg I'll get 5 KG as a sample size, while my requirement is 5 mg as a sample size.

Can I get it?

Regards,

MaX

vineeth_varghese
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Max,

I faced same issue during one of my project and found that we cannot do anything to increase the decimal points in sample field in inspection lot display. If it is soo critical, you may try altering coding for field length of sample.

Another way out which you can use to convince client is to ask him to go to QA32 and in result recording screen, there is a tab called valuation parameter. There system will show your actual 5 mg sample size, which it fetches from your inspection plan.

Another option, may not be acceptable by cleint. Manitain base unit in GM, procurement unit in KG, sample size in MG in inspection plan. Then you can see your .005 GM in sample field, now u to decide which way to go. Here BOUM is changing from KG to GM, may need client approval. I suggest to convince client with above soln (valuation tab) in which way I did in my project.

Hope this clarifies your doubts.

Thanks

Vineeth Varghese

Edited by: Vineeth Varghese on May 23, 2010 6:34 PM

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey.. I didn't say that using 5,000,000 mg was a solution. I meant to use it as a test to understand what is happening.

The only solution I would have, which I think is clear from the cause of the problem, is to, (as Vineeth pointed even more), is to change the BUOM.

I think you'll have a hard go at changing the underlying code and that could be fraught with future support problems.

FF

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This can be done, do following settings:

In Sampling procedure put sample size as 5, and in inspection plan assign this sampling procedure. Also while assigning the MIC and sampling procedure put mg as 'sample unit of meas.' (this field is next to sampling procedure) for each MIC.

Pl check and revert.

Best Regards,

Shekhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shekhar,

This is what I've already done, and I got a sample size of ZERO !!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

There is a huge difference in number of numericals while converting KG to milligram and vice versa. 1 kg= 1000000 milligram

So check the number range of the fields, decimal points and intervals. May be the field is not being able capture such a long number.