Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server0 starts very slowly in PI 7.11 in Win 2008 / SQL 2008 MSCS config

ThomasKjelsrud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all.

I have a problem in our newly installed PI 7.11 system on Windows Server 2008 and MS SQL 2008 MSCS setup. The J2EE application server on the node where the SCS is running, takes about 1 hour to start. About 20 minutes after starting, it goes from starting framework to starting apps, and then remains in that status for another 40-50 minutes. I am unable to find anything in the log files that can explain this behaviour. The J2EE app server on the second cluster nodes starts within 5-6 minutes. If I fail over the SAP Cluster Group to the second node, the situation is reversed.

We are using the latest 7.11 kernel and the latest available SPS.

Has anyone experiences something similar?

Regards,

Thomas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check SAP Note 1248926 - AS Java VM Parameters for NetWeaver 7.1 based products

Thanks

Sunny

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

ThomasKjelsrud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi.

Thanks for your input!

I found this document [Process Integration (PI) Performance Check - Analyzing Performance Problems and Possible Solution Strategies|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/f0b96675-87cf-2c10-b489-dee0ac03f782?quicklink=index&overridelayout=true].

I also remembered having read somewhere that the VMC should be turned off for PI. So I set the parameter vmcj/enable = off. If this really did the trick or not, I cannot guarantee, but now my server0 processes starts normally.

Regards,

Thomas

former_member432219
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas

In order to get some insight into what the system and application threads are doing during this excessively long startup time you could perform a sequence of thread dumps, say at intervals of 2-3 minutes from the Starting phase right up until the Running phase. To help with the analysis of the resulting thread dumps you could use the SAP thread dump viewer to view them.

It should be possible to determine from the dumps where the threads are spending too much time

If you require further assistance with the analysis of the dumps, open a message with SAP support in the BC-JAS-SF area.

1044373 - Thread Dump Viewer for SAP J2EE Engine 7.1

1095473 - How to get a full thread dump in AS Java