Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Document Distribution

former_member219170
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

Thru DMS Document Distribution can we send only one document i.e. we need to select every time recioient list or set of criteria like doc. type / status and oter criteria we can send to some fixed recipients ?

We can send messages thru workflow also.

What is the benefit of using document distribution instead of workflow ? As per understanding we can send mesages to separate recipients for individual docs.

Regards,

Sai Krishna

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sai,

Document Distribution: Consider that while tracking a production order, you notice that a number of CAD drawings need to accompany the PO. That means someone will have to manually print the CAD drawings and individually attach them to the order. This creates a high margin for error: What if you send the wrong drawing? What if itu2019s an outdated design or even one that is still a work in progress? These kinds of errors cost organizations time and money.Hence,its prudent to ensure that these documents are distributed(manually/automated) by the system and a log of the same is maitained for reference.

Workflow: It is more about getting the right information to many people at the right time.It is process oriented.Some example processes where workflow can be adopted is:

-Document reviews

-Requesting a new material number

-ECM process

-BoM review et-al...

Hope this brings out the benefits of each of these individual processes and clarifies your doubts as well.

Regards,

Pradeepkumar Haragoldavar

former_member219170
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep,

Thanx for the explanation.

What I understood is for continuous process we will use Work flow. For specified processes we will go thru document distribution. Both are exclusive. If we are using document distribution for set of doc. type & status, we won't be using Document Distribution.

Some where I saw we can use SAP smart form / script to design the text of the document. I think this can be done both Document Distribution & Workflow.

Is there any more differences between Document Distribution & work flow.

Thanx & Regards,

Sai Krishna

former_member219170
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I understood that Document distribution is used for Specific continuous process. This is applicable for individual document.

Regards,

Sai Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sai,

Distribution is based on the recipients for individual document and is manual process. Whereas, workflow is status based and autometic trigger of mails/sms/fax etc. The major difference is automatic trigger in workflow makes the easy processing of documents and to the right person/s. The workflow can send many document at a time. Once the status is selected in case of batch /mass uploading.

I hope this will more helpful.

Regards,

Ravindra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sai Krishna,

Following are the benefits of using workflow:

1.Automatica mails in sap inbox or outlook will trigger.

2.Instead of mails you can send sms or fax also.

3.The status based distribution of documents.

4.You can send mails with specific time. i.e. If a user wants to get cosolidated mail 24 hourly or 12 hourly,this can be achenved thru workflow.

5.In workflow you can use organization model.

6.Automatica status change can be achieved in workflow.

These benefits you will get with a well developed workflow.

I hope this will help you much.

Regards,

Ravindra